Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2021, 09:08:23 AM

Recommendations for refurbished engines

This is a discussion for the topic Recommendations for refurbished engines on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Recommendations for refurbished engines  (Read 1089 times)

this user is offline ChrisAshworth

• Fleetwood Lancs
  • Manx Replica 1962
on: July 01, 2020, 09:13:16 PM
Hi guys, I've decided as part of my rebuild I would like a 1776 building, with twin carbs, engle 110, lightened flywheel, full flow etc I just wanted some recommendations on what to do.

At the moment I've a working TP 1600 with dual weber carb, which runs fine.

I also have a clean single port 1200 long block which turns by hand.

Think my options are:

1. Keep the 1600 and have the case / heads machined and bigger b&p's installed and have an engle 110 / new flywheel / seals / gaskets etc done at same time

2. Send the 1200 long block in and use this as my exchange for a newly refurbished 1776 long block with new flywheel / 110 etc, and build it up myself buying my own carbs / ancillaries etc

3. Sell the 1600 on here / eBay / etc and bite the bullet and purchase a turnkey 1776 - (if so, any recommendations on suppliers??)

Would be really appreciative of some advice. Budget approx 2-3k. Not sure how far this would stretch but hopefully get me nicely off the blocks!

Cheers.

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:57 PM

I would contact Farmer Rob on here.
My engine , built by Rob is the spec’ you suggest; 1776, 110 cam , full flow etc.
If nothing else, Rob will five sound unbiased advice.
Paul

this user is offline buggypete

• Buggy Lord
  • Accrington
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 03:10:48 PM
well your 1200 is useless for rebuilding,the stroke is shorter than other vw engines.andy pierce is a well regarded engine builder he,s near rochdale.buggy,s dont realy need lots of horse power,just keep it reliable.over 80mph in a buggy is kamakasi territory anyway.its not just being able to go fast its handling and stopping,but if you want to spend loads of dosh on a hot motor,just leave me the wrekage in your will ;D

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:43:00 PM
well your 1200 is useless for rebuilding,the stroke is shorter than other vw engines.andy pierce is a well regarded engine builder he,s near rochdale.buggy,s dont realy need lots of horse power,just keep it reliable.over 80mph in a buggy is kamakasi territory anyway.its not just being able to go fast its handling and stopping,but if you want to spend loads of dosh on a hot motor,just leave me the wrekage in your will ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Nice one Pete

Actually the later 1200 engines had AS41 cases with the duel relief valves. A lot of engine builders like them for performance builds because they say the 1200 does not stress the cases as much so they can be better to work from. You just need to swap cylinder head studs over  ;-)up

Rob

this user is offline ChrisAshworth

• Fleetwood Lancs
  • Manx Replica 1962
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:49 PM
Dealing with Farmer Rob direct now so thanks for the info - good to see you might have learnt something there too Pete

this user is offline mancityjeff

• Beach Buggy
  • evercreech,somerset
  • lwb 1971
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 05:45:28 PM
Hi I am also looking to upgrade my engine, running a t/p 1300 1971 with a 200m clutch, looking for a 1600 or 1641, any recommendations on purchase or do I go down the long block and put my own bit on any advice much appreciated. 

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 08:34:40 PM
Hi I am also looking to upgrade my engine, running a t/p 1300 1971 with a 200m clutch, looking for a 1600 or 1641, any recommendations on purchase or do I go down the long block and put my own bit on any advice much appreciated.

How's you 1300 bottom end, oil pressure, end float etc? If good you could fit 1600 or 1641 cyls & pistons and 1600 heads to your own bottom end.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper, sent from a Commodore VIC 20.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline mancityjeff

• Beach Buggy
  • evercreech,somerset
  • lwb 1971
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 04:16:36 PM
Had the engine rebuilt about 4 years ago but not happy with the outcome still have a bit of end float with small oil leak nothing to mention, as for condition all good runs well but would like something with more horse power, not an option for rebuild with the end float, thats why I thought about a long block and fit my bits and pieces.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 05:05:21 PM
Had the engine rebuilt about 4 years ago but not happy with the outcome still have a bit of end float with small oil leak nothing to mention, as for condition all good runs well but would like something with more horse power, not an option for rebuild with the end float, thats why I thought about a long block and fit my bits and pieces.

If you've had too much endfloat since it was built it could've been set wrong from the start and just need adjusting with shims, as long as the flywheel end main bearing isn't moving in the case. It'd be worth checking as you'd get more for it if you decide to sell it.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper, sent from a Commodore VIC 20.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.