Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 06:39:22 PM

Crankshaft pulley oil leak

This is a discussion for the topic Crankshaft pulley oil leak on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Crankshaft pulley oil leak  (Read 75 times)

this user is offline hustler

• Buggy Addict
  • hayling island, hants
  • Beamish buggy
on: August 01, 2020, 07:58:43 AM
Hi all.What could cause an oil leak from the crankshaft pulley as there is no oil seal.Could there be to much pressure in crankcase?we have got a pipe from oil filler neck to air filter.Any help much appreciated.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:04 AM
very often it is poor scrolling on the pulley or undersize compared to the original. easy way is try a vw one if it leaks you have a problem if not it is the after market pulley. sometimes if the case has been line bored they also make the pulley hole larger this causes leaks as the gap increases a standard hole is 50mm but I have come across 51mm after machining so an oversize pulley is needed.

this user is offline hustler

• Buggy Addict
  • hayling island, hants
  • Beamish buggy
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:01 AM
Cheers Snoopy.This is on my mates buggy the one that had the Empi pulley that decided to commit suicide,(the pulley not my mate).Altho he has reverted back to an original steel one I think the Empi has made the hole bigger.Altho it was leaking before the pulley self destructed.This is one of those things that you begin to wish you hadn't got involved in.He runs a Weber 32/36 that has been chucking petrol into the engine oil.This replacement engine he got hold of is just throwing problems one after the other.I told him he should have spoken to Farmer Rob about a rebuild in the first place.Hey ho.