Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 04:35:20 PM

Piston broke

This is a discussion for the topic Piston broke on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Piston broke  (Read 479 times)

this user is offline Ralphypants

on: July 23, 2020, 11:37:45 PM
Hello all, here’s a question for all. If a washer 12mm  with 8mm hole accidentally fell into your inlet manifold while the carb was off, how far would you get once your fired up the engine before something went wrong? Also, what damage would you expect?
Thanks

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:39:53 AM
It should not get passed the valve So may cause no damage unless the edge can get between valve and seat causing it all to bend and loss of compression in 1 cylinder. Left for a long time it could break up and get into the cylinder.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:27:18 AM
Many, many moons ago I rescued a black Beetle for about £50. (The going rate then for something just 1 step away from the scrap yard). Ran it for many months and it caught a lot of attention simply due to a loud tappy rattle from the rear.  When my next Beetle came along took the engine out of the back one just to see what the noise was beacuse I had checked that the valve clearances were ok. Knew it wasn`t that anyway because of the distintctive noise it made. This turned out to be a washer that must have gone down the manifild. (Single port).   Guess nothing is definite but what I can say this engine ran for several thousand miles to work and back etc with no issue or damage at all.