Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 12:11:43 AM

Labeling wires

This is a discussion for the topic Labeling wires on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Labeling wires  (Read 985 times)

this user is offline LUDICRUZ

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:36 AM
Hey Folks,

Has anyone on the Forum labelled their buggy wires?

I am currently wiring my buggy and i am interested in getting all the cables labelled up.

quick search on google and i have found two good methods being used out there.

The first is printing directly onto a heat shrink and applying it onto the cable

The second is printing onto a adhesive backed Vinyl tape and applying. 

A basic simple label machine like the Dymo 160 can perform both of the above, however is it any good?

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience of this or other machines and can recommend a decent one please.
THE HARDER I WORK, THE LUCKIER I GET - HENRY FORD

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
I would be concerned the labels would peal off over time. Like the heat shrink idea, would like to see how to do that with a dymo.

{edit}
Just checked and the dymo are specific heat shrink tubes, I have a printer already and will be investing in some of these soon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:31:12 AM by Roadrunner »

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 12:08:16 PM
I would be concerned the labels would peal off over time. Like the heat shrink idea, would like to see how to do that with a dymo.

{edit}
Just checked and the dymo are specific heat shrink tubes, I have a printer already and will be investing in some of these soon

i checked and there are two versions of the Vinyl tape that Dymo do, D1 is the basic one that comes with the machine, and i read that the stickyness is not great.

Dymo do another version of the tape that has IND marked on the box, apparently this is for industrial use and the adhesive is much stronger.

What model Dymo are you using please?

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:17:15 PM
I used cable tie labels, you can get them with the label built in, go for the T shaped one as the ones with the label longways is only suitable for larger stuff. Other type are plastic labels with holes at each corner to tie them on, useful if you need a longer description.

RS components probably do them. My stock came from Tandy, so had them a while

You can also get plastic rings that slip over the wire with letters or numbers in a range of colours, ewoyld cost a fortune to put text on each wire but ideal if you have a key or diagram
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 01:35:59 PM

{edit}

i checked and there are two versions of the Vinyl tape that Dymo do, D1 is the basic one that comes with the machine, and i read that the stickyness is not great.

Dymo do another version of the tape that has IND marked on the box, apparently this is for industrial use and the adhesive is much stronger.

What model Dymo are you using please?

I have a Dymo LabelManager 280 had it for a couple of years now.  I like the fact I can connect and print to it from my laptop loading images onto my labels

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 01:56:30 PM
Chimp used a machine at his works that printed directly onto the cable insulation.

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 09:15:25 PM
Been searching on Google for a couple of hours for one that will do both Vinyl tape and Heat shrink and just came across a fantastic deal.

Brother PTE110VP

Screwfix is selling at 54.99, however Toolstation are doing it at 50% off and selling for 24.99

it will do both Vinyl and Heat shrink, comes with a carry case and power supply. Link below.

i've just snapped up the last one at my local store.   ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

https://www.toolstation.com/brother-pte110vp-handheld-label-printer/p22753?searchstr=brother

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:28:23 AM
a good find and cheap ;-)up

this user is offline Luddite

• Buggy Addict
  • MK ish
  • GP2 SWB / GT LWB
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 09:07:04 AM
I used the Dymo, both the handheld and PC versions.  Can't recommend the tape at all.  It appears to stick to start with, then falls away in time.  Even on a flat surface.  Didn't know about the IND variant, and will try to get a hold of that when I come to finish off the job.

For aircraft work I've used Hellermann sleeving - these are pinkish rubber sleeves which can be slipped over the terminal end of the wire using a three-pronged tool.  They can then be marked up using an India ink pen. Non-fading, permanent and simple.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 09:40:29 AM
just been to Toolstation to collect my machine and the guy at the counter advised me that the PTE110VP version does not do Heat shrink, the the next model up PTE300VP does.

This is also on offer, currently 99.99 elsewhere but 49.99 at Toolstation so i picked this one up instead.