Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 12:42:09 AM

Battery charged now wonít start

This is a discussion for the topic Battery charged now wonít start on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Battery charged now wonít start  (Read 809 times)

this user is offline Delux

on: July 12, 2020, 08:25:46 AM
Hi all, Iíve had my SWB GP mk1 1600 a week. Been starting immediately each day.

Strange thing happened today though. I put the battery on charge overnight as it was getting a little lazy and when I went to start the buggy today it was dead - despite the battery being fully charged at 13.1v. Turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened. No lights, no start. Nada.

Itís weird because itís started immediately each day this week Iíve had it.

Checked fuses and theyíre ok. Got the same voltage as the battery on the starter motor, at the voltage regulator (top two connectors) and at the first input to the fuse box with a 16a fuse (RH fuse looking to front of car - fuse box on bulkhead).

Took the ignition barrel and switch out of the dash and if I put a live feed from battery to the IGN connectors then each of them respond. If I give 12v to the SR connector the starter motors fires. Like wise if I give 12v to the voltage gauge the needle starts to move.

I do not have voltage coming out of the voltage regulator going to the generator.

The red wire coming from the fuse box to the ignition labelled BAT has varying voltage from 0 to 9v but never 13v...

Did I somehow fry something putting my battery on charge with disconnecting the terminals?

Where I removed the fuse to check is where I have battery voltage.

Any advice appreciated Iíd love to go for a Sunday drive!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:27:56 AM by Delux »

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 04:46:38 PM
wrong battery polarity is ok on a dynamo and car with points not electronic ignition.  if you have power to the fuse box that is intermittent check to 2 large spade connectors on the regulator one is battery + the other powers the dash etc the connectors and joints look tired so need a clean up or replacing.
normally the live goes to the light switch then splits to ignition and fuse box but depends who wired the buggy and what is fitted.
ignition switches can and do fail along side the fuses fitted sometimes need a spin to clean the contacts and make a circuit.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 04:52:54 PM
Could you try another battery in case yours is 'voltage only' ?
Hugh

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 07:54:10 AM
Knowing Buggies, I would always suspect an earth fault first

If you have a jump lead, connect the battery negative to the engine casing and see if symptoms alter
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Delux

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 08:21:38 AM
Thank you guys!

I pulled off a various connectors on the voltage reg and beneath the dash, as well as fuses and it sprung back to life! Sunday drive accomplished.

Iíll put another battery on charge to swap out as suggested as startup has become a little lazy. Iíll check voltage when the car is running.

The wiring does look very tired. Iím inclined to consider replacing  the whole lot (Does someone do a complete loom?) and looking at what earths I could find theyíre pretty caked in years of muck.

The fuel gauge doesnít work and neither does the temp gauge so Iím going to need to look into that this week.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 09:48:53 AM
Re.... New loom... If you want to go down this route and I think it is worth considering  contact CHAD on here. He makes bespoke looms from scratch.  Whatever you do DO NOT buy the aftermarket Buggy Loom... It is utter rubbish..  Good luck with the buggy.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 09:56:18 AM
Chad on here or Tod Oliver Davies (Jas Buggies) on Facebook for looms.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper, sent from a Commodore VIC 20.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.