Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 07:44:29 PM

Carb

This is a discussion for the topic Carb on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Carb  (Read 228 times)

this user is online Dipsy Deb

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
on: June 27, 2020, 04:30:06 PM
Hi nearly but not quite there yet with my buggy, might be a silly question but just noticed the step cam missing from my carb would this make a difference because my buggy will not tick over, choke needing to stay out a little not for it to stall.  If I need a step cam where is the best place to buy one please. Cheers Deb

🔷Dipsy Deb

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:37:16 PM
Step cam needed deb. Never come across this piece missing before and so have not seen a source of spares. Give megabug a ring. The lads might be able to help. When you have this cam back in place remember the screw is not used for setting idle speed. The idle is set by adjusting the smaller of the two screws in the side of carb. (Left hand side as you look at engine). The choke body is turned to correctly position the choke butterfly. The screw at the stepped cam is set to be not quite touching the cam step when the engine is hot.

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 04:54:58 PM
Hi Paul it's really weird because buggy has done 700 miles since buying but has never run perfect seems to be running lean.  Various thinks have been changed on buggy so after getting a step cam would you recommend a crypton tune. Cheers Deb
🔷Dipsy Deb

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 05:09:38 PM
Somebody will have an old scrap carb for a step plate. Engine tune will get it sorted whether crypton or by ear.

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 06:34:05 PM
Hi Deb, if you message me your address, I will put a step cam in the post for you ;-)up  There are a couple of things for you to check lol. Does your electric choke unit turn the choke butterfly ok. The other thing to check is the diaphragm, which opens the choke slightly when you open the throttle. If you take your air cleaner off, get a compact mirror so you can see down the carb throat. Get someone to start it (when cold so the choke butterfly is closed ) and when they rev it slightly, the choke butterfly should open slightly and then return when they take their foot off the gas. You only get this movement when the choke butterfly is more or less closed. The diaphragm shafts can seize or the diaphragm itself split with time or the modern fuels

Rob

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 08:25:39 PM
Hi Rob I have PM'd you. Thanks a lot. It's a manual choke all working as it should but not checked diaphragm yet. Cheers Deb
🔷Dipsy Deb

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 11:44:58 PM

Good on you Rob . You are the man 💋💋👍

this user is online Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 08:51:18 AM
If it's a manual choke should it have a stepped cam? Wouldn't letting the choke off in stages have the ssme effect?

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 11:41:46 AM
If it's a manual choke should it have a stepped cam? Wouldn't letting the choke off in stages have the ssme effect?

I haven't seen one but my thinking is that the manual choke part only replaces the electric element, so will not increase the rev's when the engine is cold. I also think that one would have to put the accelerator to the floor and hold it there while you pull the choke out, to work the step cam. So the step cam might have been taken off because someone did not know how it worked with the throttle and therefore could not pull the choke on with the step cam fitted  :-\

Rob

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:31 PM
The manual choke still needs a step cam as the excess fuel needs higher rpm maintained at idle or worse case it will flood. I wold convert it back to electric as it worked on millions of engine all over the world.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 08:07:03 PM
Deb... this just in addition to what the other lads have said......  Engine tuning is a relatively easy thing when you are familiar with the steps...

I would try to find someone you can take the buggy to, or have them come to you , who is familiar with the old school, non ecu controlled engines.

There is a specific path to follow.... This is first ensure that the valve clearances are correctly set on all 4 cylinders. Then and only after the valve gap setting is correct the timing needs to be adjusted at first to a manual position by moving the distributor and finally by timing light shone on the pulley at the notch in pulley rim. When this is done the carburretor is adjusted for petrol\air mix ratio . (Big screw in carb side) and the idling set with engine hot with the small screw next to the big one. An auto choke adjustment is simply and just needs the choke body rotating correctly. (I know you have manual choke). If the carb is a solex 34pict 3 then there are sections on the valve gapping\timing\carb set up and auto choke set up in the Haynes manual. (These are about 14 quid on ebay).   Long, long time since I used anyone for a crypton tune set up .. it`s really a case of does the operator really understand an ancient engine thoroughly. Engines built way before most of the young men about. 

(I have a view in that the only way to get a type 1 engine to run really smoothly as it did in the beetle days is for the carb to have good pre heating  ie a red hot pipe. Hot air from the exhaust to the original style air filter and a unworn distributor and carburretor. This does not mean you should not try to get the best out of what you find in a buggy). Keep at it and good luck  ;-)up

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:09 PM
Thanks to everyone's in put particularly farmer Rob for his simple instructions for someone like me who is not a mechanic.  Buggy ticking over now after a few hours fiddling and will check tomorrow what it Is like to start when cold. We are getting there slowly, will keep you all updated. Cheers Deb
🔷Dipsy Deb

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:49 AM
particularly farmer Rob for his simple instructions. 

Excellent news Deb.  Rob has come to my rescue twice now... ;-)up

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 10:26:37 AM
Good news Deb keeping buggies on the road and happy owners is what this site is all about.

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:21 AM
To be honest I have had moments when I have got very frustrated and thought about selling it due to being disappointed about not going far in it before breaking down, but thankfully it does not last long and I come to my senses before I do that. I know I would regret selling it because I always wanted one and they are silly little things and nothing expensive or can't be fixed.  One day meet up with you all to say thanks face to face. Cheers Deb👍
🔷Dipsy Deb