Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 06:53:27 PM

V5 Description

This is a discussion for the topic V5 Description on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: V5 Description  (Read 2992 times)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 09:23:09 PM
15k is petty cash to some folks, thinking back to 1977 or 78 when lil chev got sold cannot remember if it was 5.5 or 7.5k more money than the newly  released Triumph TR7

this user is online Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #31 on: June 25, 2020, 09:34:08 PM
I don't think I dreampt this but if I remember correctly from the price lists on the now defunct Flatlands website, IVA certification on a build was an optional extra and the price for it was either £1000 or £1500
Have fun. Be lucky

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #32 on: June 27, 2020, 04:29:36 PM
The cost of iva certification Mark was charging back when I last visited in 2016 was £2000. No roll bar or standard windscreen fitted for this compliance. Marks new website still shows "under construction". 

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 07:59:17 PM
I looked at a Flatlands build and the V5 was buggy it had an IVA test. I can not see them being able to just say it is are build so It is Ok. As Jago and UVA had to have there name on the v5 or the model.... 15k is not bad money the engine is 5k!!  Any way if you got 15k you got 1k? For a beach buggy v5 chassis If need be..
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #34 on: July 17, 2020, 07:38:45 AM
From my understanding firms like  Flatlands can build a car and put it through IVA and get a pass, then if they build more of an identical car they just send in the build paperwork to get a pass. If you buy a built westfield you get a certificate of conformity so this must cover the IVA unless they are recognised as a large enough producer that the cars do not require a test.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #35 on: July 17, 2020, 08:33:56 AM
keith is correct here in that flatlands and anyone else building a vehicle that requires iva certification to become dvla registered and road legal needs only to put a first vehicle through an actual test. All other builds, providing they are identical in every way to the origina,l can be given certification following the submission of the iva documentation for each of the subsequent vehicles. Vosa can ask for an actual physical examination at their discretion should they choose to in order to keep a "check" on build compliance.

The westfield example is one of a producer who has undertaken the necessary steps to ensure the "parts" you purchase that comprises a "kit" has inbuilt "conformity" to the iva requirements providing you assemble to iva standards and anything you add over this has to be iva compliant.  I don`t know if the likes of westfield etc offer a fully built vehicle that has been put through iva and subsequent registration through dvla and a Q plate issued.

I know from talking to Mark in person that his iva builds went though examination without a windscreen or roll bar so if you see one of these buggies that are on offer with a windscreen and\or roll bar then they are technically no longer road legal. (They can however have compliance if they went through an examination fitted with one or two "aero screens" and these are still fitted).

To stay clear of a mine field I would, and this is simply my opinion, try to find a buggy that has the best compliance regarding chassis vin number that matches the V5C along with a V5C that has a type\model description that excludes the word "beetle".  ;-)up ;-)up

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #36 on: July 17, 2020, 11:20:23 AM
Hi Paul, interesting he left the roll bar out as that is a good seatbelt mounting and his builds would need seatbelts. Being screen less means no washers, wipers and associated wiring and switches so fitting anything but aero screens or a small clear wind deflector is major work to keep it compliant and legal, although I have personally never heard of cars being rechecked at a later date. Early sports car replicas look odd with a modern safety steering wheel so most must get retrofitted to a non compliant classic wheel

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #37 on: July 17, 2020, 02:10:12 PM
Hi....  Keith hope you are keeping well....   Re-check.  I meant to indicate that say.... build no 1 is iva examined and certified. Then builds 2 onwards can be certified using the relevant paperwork only providing 2 onwards is identical in every way to no 1. Then say you submit paperwork for build no 10 vosa can ask for a physical examination to check that you are still complying with the No 1 spec.

Mark used harness for the iva buggies. If he ever fitted standard seat belts and got one through iva then I am not aware of this. Aero screens meant no windscreen wiper checks which believe it or not became a main failure item unless the lucas system was fitted and that you ensured the wiper arm stems met the raddii check....many of which didn`t. Have seen a iva failure notice with the comment written... "wiper arm too sharp".. ;D

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 03:16:23 PM
unless the lucas system was fitted

I actually prefer the lucas system with Mini wipers for a buggy.  No need for additional modification

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #39 on: July 17, 2020, 06:41:06 PM
I used VW rack with Mini Wipac/Lucas type arms and blades using LandRover adapters.

Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #40 on: July 17, 2020, 07:01:37 PM
 Have seen a iva failure notice with the comment written... "wiper arm too sharp".. ;D

that is unreal next item will be glass to hard if the pedestrian avoided being diced by the wiper armswhilst passing further up the bonnet.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #41 on: July 18, 2020, 11:42:00 AM
unless the lucas system was fitted

I actually prefer the lucas system with Mini wipers for a buggy.  No need for additional modification

I agree with you. Lucas system from ages past but works perfectly and totally adaptable for location. I opted for the adjustable arms which allowed me to choose the overall length of each arm to suit the screen area.

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #42 on: July 18, 2020, 07:37:58 PM
The other reason for no windscreen at test was that you would also need a de-misting system fitted as well.
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #43 on: July 20, 2020, 07:50:12 PM
The other reason for no windscreen at test was that you would also need a de-misting system fitted as well.

Correct Andy   ;-)up