Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 09, 2021, 07:28:44 AM

V5 Description

This is a discussion for the topic V5 Description on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: V5 Description  (Read 3073 times)

this user is offline ianham

on: June 24, 2020, 10:29:31 AM
Hi, I am considering buying a buggy that was built in 2006 by Flatlands on a 1968 chassis.  The vendor tells me that the V5 describes the vehicle as "Saloon", it does also state that it is a Historic vehicle.  Can anyone advise if this description is a potential problem in the future?  Many thanks Ian

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 11:25:05 AM
Historic will be the taxation class so that's okay.

If it doesn't say 'Beetle' as the model that's a plus point. If colour, engine size, engine and chassis numbers match the V5C then the description 'saloon' on its own shouldn't in its self cause problems with the cops or DVSA, you could always fit a removable hard top.

Legally though, any short wheelbase build since 1998 should have been put throgh an IVA/SVA test so there's always a slim chance that if caught the DVLA could remove your registration number, de-registering the car pending testing.

Not a definitive answer I'm afraid but I don't think there is one. The car is not quite registered correctly so worst case scenario could just be worth the sum total of its parts.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:03:24 PM
If "Professionally" built by a reputable Company such as Flatlands (They are certainly one of the reputable builders out there) then why not track them down and ask their advice on how and what they did with regards to the V5, as I have to agree with Manxdavid here as:

Legally, a Buggy build of 2006 should have been put through an IVA/SVA test
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:13:39 PM

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 12:52:11 PM
That is LilBoys old buggy so it has survived 14 years with saloon on the V5 I would have thought flatlands were an sva/iva approved builder so builds would be correctly registered. A lot of money if the worst should happen and it got pulled as said a call to flatlands for advice is a good idea.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 01:08:57 PM
I would have thought flatlands were an sva/iva approved builder

Really? I don't think there's such a thing when it comes to custom builds. Any build should still have been sent for testing. This isn't the first Flatlands build that I've heard of with a potentially 'wrong' V5C.

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 01:46:40 PM
Mine says saloon, and no issues so far. Its a risk of course, but the chances of it being an issue are very slim indeed. In its current state it wouldn't pass an SVA/IVA but you could "temporary" adapt it may be to get it though but personally wouldn't bother.

Flatlands had a reputation for building the best quality buggies and if it is LilBoys old one, then it is one of the best. I know many of us would think that's a lot of money for a buggy BUT if its still in as good a condition as it appears, and its still got Dan Simpsons engine, then IMHO its worth every penny of £15,000 :)
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 02:02:24 PM
Flatlands had a reputation for building the best quality buggies and if it is LilBoys old one, then it is one of the best. I know many of us would think that's a lot of money for a buggy BUT if its still in as good a condition as it appears, and its still got Dan Simpsons engine, then IMHO its worth every penny of £15,000 :)

I agree, but . . .  Whilst SALOON is certainly not the problem it appeared to be a few years back, if I were paying top dollar for what is undoubtedly one of the best Buggies you will find and worth every penny, I would still be be concerned if the V5 registration process had not been followed to the letter of the law especially if built by such a Reputable Company. Personally, I would also ask the Supplying Dealer for some form of carefully worded V5 legal indemnity (or similar) should it ever be called into question - (Just in case) - If they refuse to entertain that request, then I would walk.

Tough one as its one of the best Buggies you would find for that price  :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 02:05:47 PM
I would have thought flatlands were an sva/iva approved builder

Really? I don't think there's such a thing when it comes to custom builds. Any build should still have been sent for testing. This isn't the first Flatlands build that I've heard of with a potentially 'wrong' V5C.

Could be wrong, but I believe that you can indeed have an approved template by which to build your cars - A lot of the Motability conversions have this too, and all of theirs are custom builds - (ie-Not Manufacturer builds)
 :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 02:56:17 PM
Personally, I would also ask the Supplying Dealer for some form of carefully worded V5 legal indemnity (or similar) should it ever be called into question - (Just in case) - If they refuse to entertain that request, then I would walk

It's a private sale, just a classified ad.

Did Flatlands really have a government Type Approval certificate for buggy builds when every one was different? Even some models of Morgan need to go through IVA if the spec falls outside of the model's Type Approval.

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 03:06:40 PM
It's a private sale, just a classified ad.

My bad - misread that one and saw it as a Dealer Website  :-[

Did Flatlands really have a government Type Approval certificate for buggy builds when every one was different? Even some models of Morgan need to go through IVA if the spec falls outside of the model's Type Approval.

Far smaller companies than Flatlands comply with type approval - Given their reputation, I would be very surprised if they didn`t have such an accreditation ???

But if the build falls outside any type approval criteria, then you are correct that an IVA is then required  ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 03:13:30 PM
Surely accreditation would bring with it a correct V5C description?

I'm honestly not trying to stir things or loose the seller a sale but it's an awful lot of money to gamble imho. If built to Type Approval there must have been some sort of certification issued. I think Flatlands are the only people who can answer this.

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 03:27:45 PM
I'm honestly not trying to stir things or loose the seller a sale but it's an awful lot of money to gamble imho.

I really could not have put that better   ;-)up

Our opinion was asked and hopefully it will help someone make up their minds   ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 05:40:51 PM
it is a hard one as it is a lot of buggy but at that money you would feel bad if you advised somebody to buy it and the worse happened if it did get pulled even though the risk is minimal.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 06:46:43 PM

Bottom line is the original supplier should have made all is koshia especially if they are asking top dollar.
Just my thoughts.
Paul