Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 04:12:49 PM

Should I stop or go the distance

This is a discussion for the topic Should I stop or go the distance on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Should I stop or go the distance  (Read 980 times)

this user is offline johnbrunt

on: June 07, 2020, 04:06:15 PM
good afternoon - this is where iím at with engine as of this afternoon - itís a d series 1200cc

As you can see the case is still rather dirty / oily although itís million times better than it was.

Upto now there is nothing that phases me about the rebuild from this stage.

It would be nice to strip it down further then get the case fully cleaned but iím worried as iíll be venturing into the unknown. I know that dirt and grime etc has dropped into the case but donít know if this is significant - so should i tip the engine on its side and maybe just flush it through with a big bowl of degreaser for instance or do i just keep going.

Is there anything inside that will need replacing if i continue and is it still just spanners iíll need - i donít really want to go any further if itís going to get too technical. Are there any pitfalls ?

Thanks

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:14:18 PM
As long as you're happy that the end float was within specs then I'd be happy to give it a good washing out then a new oil strainer and an oil change after 1/2 hrs running followed by another shortly after. The cheapest oil that Home Bargains have at first will be fine.

Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:21:42 PM
As said 1200 motors are solid just be careful turning the crank with the distributor out and fuel pump off the drive shaft will lift and strip the soft drive gear on the crank so it will need a strip.

this user is offline hustler

• Buggy Addict
  • hayling island, hants
  • Beamish buggy
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:14:34 PM
Been there done that lesson learnt ;D

this user is offline johnbrunt

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 12:48:44 AM
As said 1200 motors are solid just be careful turning the crank with the distributor out and fuel pump off the drive shaft will lift and strip the soft drive gear on the crank so it will need a strip.

😬....maybe a little too late as itís certainly been turned without distributor or fuel pump in place

is there a visible indicator to confirm if itís in need of further strip down

cheers

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 08:30:36 AM
End float and oil pressure  :D :D

Rob

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 10:49:17 AM
the distributor drive gear rides up in itís location as it clears the drive gear it strips the bronze teeth off.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:23:30 PM
the distributor drive gear rides up in itís location as it clears the drive gear it strips the bronze teeth off.

This one of those things in life where you learn the hard way.... ;D