Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 05:04:00 PM

Rebuild an engine rebuild ?

This is a discussion for the topic Rebuild an engine rebuild ? on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Rebuild an engine rebuild ?  (Read 789 times)

this user is offline Ralphypants

on: May 25, 2020, 08:03:13 PM
Hi all, hope everyone is safe & well.
The saga continues with my newly built engine which is now 1 year old. Iím fed up with the multiple oil leaks, noisy drive and general poor running at low speeds. When you hammer, it all is well, apart from the oil. The car was run up on a rolling road by a very experienced mechanic who thought it had too much cam. I have decided to remove the engine for the fifth time and dismantle. I was thinking of putting an Engle 110 cam new followers and rods reseat valves. Is it as simple as it sounds? I will have a mechanic working with me. Any advise is as usual greatly appreciated.

Colin.

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 09:22:43 PM
Hi Colin, seams like you have had trouble with this engine from the start. I thought you had got the engine sorted last I heard but had gearbox problems, now you say the engine is bad again. Do you know the full spec of the engine? did they give you a power chart when you had it on the rolling road to show us? An Engle W110 camshaft is a camshaft for a small high reving engine, not a large cc stroker engine. What camshaft is in it? and has it got ratio rockers? and if so what ratio are they? What size valves has it got? Without seeing your power graph charts, we do not even know if the engine parts were ever matched together!

Rob

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 10:43:32 PM
I run a 1776 with a 120 and it isn't nice until the cam is on song BUT when it is it is.
Don't get me wrong it is still drivable at low speed but you have to get used to keeping the revs up and changing down to pull out of a corner when most wouldn't have to, it would still get away from the corner but be lumpy on pick up. As for the noise, mine sounds like a pneumatic road breaker as it starts to pick up then just howls, I run a fairly quiet exhaust so it is mostly mechanical noise.
I think that you may have rocker geometry problems and any oil leaks can normally be sorted by a reasonably competent air-cooled mechanic.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:23:41 AM
For an engine up to 1776 the rule of thumb that I generally use is 100 cam for single carbs and 110 cam for twins.

I'd pull the oil pump out and see what cam you've got then check thru the valve gear, do a compression or leak down test to check valves and rings and if all good fix the leaks. These are generally pushrod tubes, cooler seals, crank seal etc or are caused by the breather not being vented to an air filter. VW crank cases like a bit of negative pressure.

Sorry but I've not followed the saga do don't know what's been done or not in the past of who built it in the first place.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 06:28:06 PM
Engine info size etc ..I have seen E110 cams  in 1600cc all the way up to a 2443cc type 1 .. Oil leaks may be the case!!
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline Ralphypants

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 10:24:26 AM
Thank you all for your input. Hopefully I have located an expert (Beetle Magic) in my area who can fix my problems, so Iím going to put my spanner down.  Rocker geometry was mentioned again so fingers crossed all will be good. I shall give an update when the work is completed.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  :)