Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 09:23:55 AM

doesnít look right

This is a discussion for the topic doesnít look right on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: doesnít look right  (Read 122 times)

this user is offline johnbrunt

on: May 22, 2020, 12:44:00 PM
so iíve been attempting to rebuild rear end - and iíve got as far as the following

there isnít a great deal of space between the axle tubes and horns so consequently iím going to struggle to fit new gaitors - also the angle of the wheels is concerning me - with no weight to go down on the body as such is this how it will sit until the build is a little further on ??....or have i done something wrong ??...

thanks

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:46:01 PM
Once you get the engine in and roll it around a bit it'll come down a fair bit, don't worry until then. If it had a full Beetle body on it then it may need to come down a spline.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:48:15 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:29:12 PM
As David says I fitted split boots the other day with no motor in and had to use jack the under the brake drum on the side to get clearance to slide the boot between the shaft and horn.

this user is online JohnnyV

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:09:07 PM
When I did my buggy rebuild the rear wheels looked exactly the same. Even with the engine in I thought my wheels were not sitting right, but it's not until you get it on the road that they will settle down and you get a true idea how they sit. Mine were fine without any adjustment. Good luck with the build ;-)up

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 05:44:03 PM
cheers - one thing thatís just struck me is that iím using a different floor pan from what the donor vehicle which the gear box came off (the old floor pan was a 69 and the new one is the later variety 74 onwards i think) - iím also using the the gear linkage tube - having fitted the gear box the linkage appears too long by maybe an inch which suggests that maybe the gear box is sitting a little too forward - but that position is predetermined by the rear support bar which bolts to the horns - iím not home for a few days so canít actually go outside to have another look 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:50:52 PM by johnbrunt »

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 10:31:05 PM
VW moved gear lever and handbrake positions on the tunnel over the years so you may need to shorten the shaft.

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 10:43:04 AM
ah ok iíll sort that now
thanks