Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2020, 08:20:58 AM

New to buggies! Any advice appreciated

This is a discussion for the topic New to buggies! Any advice appreciated on the board Newbie Welcome Area.

Author Topic: New to buggies! Any advice appreciated  (Read 564 times)

this user is online Roman

on: May 20, 2020, 03:02:30 PM
Being 6ft 2" Will I fit in a Manx buggy? Any recomended seats to help fit?
Many thanks,
Roman

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:13:30 PM
Welcome aboard 

You are not as tall as some on here, and they have no issues at all  ;-)up

I`m 6'1" and have Suzuki Cappuccino seats in a SWB Hustler - No problems at all  ;)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:50:42 PM
Thank you for the welcome,
and many thanks for the advice, the Suzuki seats look great.
It has been many years since I have played with Vdubs, standard beetles, convertibles and 2 Bajas in the past.
Now is the time for a new project!

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:43:07 PM
Welcome.

Snoopy is at least 6' 4" and he'll be along soon to give more great advice.

The buggy's screen height and roll bar height will be relevant as the former effects flies and wind chill in the eyes and the latter effects whether any wet gear sits above your head.
Hugh

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 06:49:12 PM
It`s a Hi from me   ;-)up ;-)up

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:01:07 PM
hi buggies can be adjusted to suit the driver You will probably need a 10 or 11 steering wheel and thinnish seats to gain room.

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 08:42:57 PM
Clem is 67 and fit in his Manx based Prowler with a hardtop roof when he owned it. He only made the roof lift up after getting run over and the resulting back injuries.

62 should be a doddle in comparison

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 09:09:43 PM
I'm 6'2" and only issue I have is seeing traffic lights when roof is on so screen height matters

I have a deep dish wheel with an extension boss so my knee fits between wheel and gearstick

You would do well to look out for members or meets near you and get to sit in a buggy

Welcome to the site
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 10:03:20 PM
Thank you all for such quick replies and great advice. When we move out if lock down it would be great to meet. Any Manx owners local to me in Woking Surrey?

this user is offline grissley

• Buggy Meister
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:57 AM
If your like me and like to drive comfortable and not have your knees in your face the shortest buggy i would recommend is a Jas as its only shortened 12" as most others are near on 15" cut.
Get yourself a long wheel base .

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 06:40:37 PM

Wish I was 6ft, even nearly. Not ;D

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 11:09:31 AM
I am 6ft 4 ins (so normal sized) and its a challenge as most buggies are designed for smaller people.  The buggies I found had the most room were Doons and then a Jas (I am talking SWB).   I have a Sidewinder and I have been shocked when sitting in other Sidewinders just how little room others have.   So clever selection of seats, seat mounts, steering wheel etc are essential.

I have Mambas (have planned to ditch them for ages and not got round to it) as they are very narrow at the back so go the max they can backwards (sadly they are a bit too tight on my backside).   My seat wedges were flatlands but were cut down as I wanted to be lower and sit in rather than on the buggy.   My steering wheel is 10 ins.  I have the very old style steering column (I think its either late 50s or early 60s (I was told its slightly shorter but cant say for definite if thats correct.  I also have modified pedals.  They are actually shorter and spaced slightly differently.   The short part is actually not needed (size 12s) but the spacing really helps.

The biggest issue I have is when the hard top is on .... a) its a bit difficult to get in and out  b) your view is restricted so traffic lights can be challenging to see when you are stopped at the other then through the side.

Stick with it though as it can be done and nice to see more normal sized people in buggies :)

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 06:11:54 PM
Thank you for all the information, really helpful. I had no idea there were so many different types of buggy. Having spent hours looking over the group pages and posts I am now really interested in a LWB Doon buggy. I have in my mind a sort of cross over buggy. Offroad street look. It is a bit of throw back to when I built a Baja but different! Probably making no sense at all now. Been gardening all day, finishing off now with a small beer in hand thinking about a buggy. If you want to see an article about the Baja which category would be best to post.
Take care everyone. Roman

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 07:03:58 PM
If you want to see an article about the Baja which category would be best to post.

Stick it either in the Members Buggies section or Members Other Rides   ;-)up

LWB Doon is a good choice and I am sure Chad (the Daddy of Doon) will be along to answer any questions you may have
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 07:33:09 PM
LWB Doon is a good choice and if a new build not hard to get registered correctly as for an off road look Chimps green sidewinder and Carls purple GP  are excellent examples.