Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 09:28:18 AM

urethane beam bushes

This is a discussion for the topic urethane beam bushes on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: urethane beam bushes  (Read 581 times)

this user is offline johnbrunt

on: May 16, 2020, 05:21:41 PM
good afternoon - iím trying to fit new urethane bushes to new front beam ....however they all seem to not want to go in - from all that i can see online they should just simply slide in - but iím unable to get them in the last inch ....

has anyone encountered similar problems

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 09:23:35 PM
ok well it seems there is a bush further in the tube - which is hindering the urethane ones - so rather than go to the effort of removing the inner bush - would it be an option to trim the urethane bush by the depth they currently sit proud ?...

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 10:09:03 PM
have you tried the arms in the bushes as they are now before going further, ideally it needs the inner bushes out using a long rod and hammer from the other side.
If the inner bushes were not worn you could trim the poly ones but then you end up with inner end needing grease outer end poly outer will not like the grease so not a good idea.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:16 AM
Were the original roller bearings and grease seals that bad? Could they not be refitted? They are so much better that the urethane ones.

If not you could cut down the red ones to replace just the outers if the inner bushes are still in good order. To look like these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362158207506
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:15:20 AM
Were the original roller bearings and grease seals that bad? Could they not be refitted? They are so much better that the urethane ones.

If not you could cut down the red ones to replace just the outers if the inner bushes are still in good order. To look like these...

the beam was bought second hand and although it looks new had had the bearings removed previously ....the alternative i guess is to spend the money on new bearings and seals 

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 12:42:00 PM

If not you could cut down the red ones to replace just the outers if the inner bushes are still in good order.

To look like these...

yeah iíd seen them and thatís why i thought i could maybe trim as assume they would be made for the same set of circumstances ....

this user is offline Guy

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:38:04 PM
I used the standard outer bearings and replaced the inner bush with Delrin. It is self lubricating so if by some reason it was a bit dry it would not damage your torsion arm bearing surface. I have not heard great things about the urethane bushes.  The inner bushes that came out of mine were trashed and they were tight to get out. Big bar with a duplex end and a lump hammer.

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:03 PM
so do the original needle bearings just tap in with a drift?

thanks

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 05:01:37 PM
There is an old school way to replace bearings.  have the bearing area warm. cool the bearing in a fridge. Quickly tap\press into place making sure all is square.. bingo all done.

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 07:31:31 PM
There is an old school way to replace bearings.  have the bearing area warm. cool the bearing in a fridge. Quickly tap\press into place making sure all is square.. bingo all done.

how warm would it need to be - i assume you would use a torch of some kind - would this not damage the paint work ...thanks

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 08:15:59 AM
How are you getting on with the urethane bushings swap over? I'm just about to do the same.

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 06:15:28 PM
How are you getting on with the urethane bushings swap over? I'm just about to do the same.

hi - i decided to buy needle bearings and just knocked them in - just waiting on the seals now - then i can start building front suspension back up - i therefore have the urethane ones going spare 😀

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 12:46:11 PM

how warm would it need to be - i assume you would use a torch of some kind - would this not damage the paint work ...thanks

Just warm.. Ambient home temp.   No torch type heat neccessary. It`s just the temp difference between fridge cool and room warm that makes it simple.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 10:18:41 PM

Paul 1953,

Our ambient temperature or thereís 😂
Paul

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 08:38:10 AM

hi - i decided to buy needle bearings and just knocked them in - just waiting on the seals now - then i can start building front suspension back up - i therefore have the urethane ones going spare

I have managed to get hold of a full set of Prothane poly bushings so i'll go with those. I can see your photo and the reason they will not fit is the you haven't taken out the inner bush that sits about 4 inches down the beam. Mine were shot and scoring the arms, 1 had fallen out of the bakelite holder and was just laying in the beam tube so if you haven't checked those yet you'll need to make sure they are ok before fitting the outer bearings. There is a mention of Delrin bushes but they also fail according to the internet posts i've read. It seems the way to go would be oil impregnated brass bushed for the inners and needle bearings for outers. All of my outers were sticking and notchy so all need replacing, all in all this beam needed rebuilding along time ago i think but until it failed the other day i've just been putting the poor steering and feel down to it being a buggy with a light front end. I'm also only installing the 4 main leaves when i do mine and it's still in the buggy with the front on so going to be interesting lining the top up with the centre grub screw.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:45:56 AM by cunningstunt »