Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 10:09:48 AM

centre cap straightening

This is a discussion for the topic centre cap straightening on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: centre cap straightening  (Read 244 times)

this user is offline buggypete

• Buggy Lord
  • Accrington
on: May 13, 2020, 03:03:01 PM
been busy with various buggy mending tasks but i finally got round to straightening a load of wolfrace centre caps,common problem as they stick in the wheel and get damaged when you have to belt them out.it helps that my brother is very skilled at wood turning and he made me some wood dollies to help straighted the very badly damaged aluminium.only light taps are needed to get most of the dents and wrinkles out.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 08:23:55 PM
A bit of traditional craftsman work going on up there.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:40:12 AM
I used to buy them new from the Reliant Scimitar place in Chester a long long time ago...
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:49:55 PM
Love those wooden formers. Who doesn't have a set of caps that need straightening!
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 05:47:40 PM
This has remided me of a local craftsman repairing 1950`s style long flowing wings. I would be about 14yrs old or so. I was fascinated as he proceeded removing dents using a small flat headed hammer and a long flat bar that was slightly angled for the last few inches. He used a leather bag filled with sand on the floor and it`s the very gentle tap tap tapping of the hammer and flat bar that had me mesmerised. Didn`t seem to be using enough force striking the metal but slowly the panel would go back to shape almost like magic.   I was well impressed.

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:20 PM

Still got me Dad leather sand bag from the shipyards 👍