Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 03:28:10 PM

reseating piston

This is a discussion for the topic reseating piston on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: reseating piston  (Read 445 times)

this user is offline johnbrunt

on: May 02, 2020, 01:07:44 PM
hi good afternoon

can anybody point me in the right direction for a “how to” get piston tube back over piston whilst still connected to crank - i’ve seen how to do this with piston and tube on bench but not when still connected

can anybody recommend what tool i need to best sort this out

thank you

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 01:22:14 PM
I have used a tin can cut to width and cut top to bottom. Placed around piston with a jubilee clip around. A tighten of the jubilee clip causes the "tin can " ring to compres the piston ring\s into groove and barrel then slides down.

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:28:33 PM
hi - so presumably after the first ring is inside the bore do you slide the tin can down ?...or will the piston tube move the can down ?....thanks

this user is offline grissley

• Buggy Meister
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 01:50:35 PM
Take the gudgeon pin out the piston, put the piston in the barrel using a ring compressor or tin can suffice with a jubilee clip and then refit the assembly,

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 04:33:39 PM
piston needs to be a top dead centre then the clip and can will slide down as the barrel pushes on this gives room to take it off when the rings are in.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 05:23:57 PM
Take the gudgeon pin out the piston, put the piston in the barrel using a ring compressor or tin can suffice with a jubilee clip and then refit the assembly,

Bloody Hell, I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with Grissley...... Nurse!!!  ;D
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 06:02:42 PM
piston has now been removed.....:-)

i’ll have a bash tomorrow now at popping it back in if i can find a jubilee clip big enough

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 04:31:35 AM
piston has now been removed.....:-)

i’ll have a bash tomorrow now at popping it back in if i can find a jubilee clip big enough
You can always join two or more smaller jubilee clips together to make a big enough one :)
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:10:22 AM
Don't forget to oil it well
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 08:24:08 AM
hi - so presumably after the first ring is inside the bore do you slide the tin can down ?...or will the piston tube move the can down ?....thanks

The jubilee does not need to be tight. All will slide. Just take care as you go along. piston rings are fairly brittle. Having said that it is very straightforward once underway.

this user is offline grissley

• Buggy Meister
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 09:46:56 AM
Or you could buy a proper piston ring tool there cheap enough, and if you break a ring trying to bodge it you will wish you had, it will cost you more. 🙄

David,  you always agree with me 🤗

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 01:31:02 PM

Bloody Hell, I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with Grissley...... Nurse!!!  ;D

Shows how these time are affecting us all . . .  I also agree with Grissley . . . .   ::)   ;D ;D
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk