Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:42:07 PM

Throttle cable query

This is a discussion for the topic Throttle cable query on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Throttle cable query  (Read 888 times)

this user is offline mad4slalom

• Buggy Meister
  • Near Newquay, cornwall TR2 4 HB
  • Mk1 manta ray
on: April 24, 2020, 11:21:16 PM
Hi all , frustrating lockdown with this amazing april sunshine, doing lots of little jobs and touch ups whilst stuck at home. I have a query re the throttle cable. What secures the tube that guides the throttle cable through the fan housing, mine seems to want to rattle out toward the carb leaving the throttle cable bare and rubbing a groove in the casting of the bellhousing. I have the other sleeve from where the cable exits the side of the floorpan tunnel in situ, but is this one supposed to meet the short one coming through the fan housing , mine just seems to rattle around loosely on the throttle cable 🤔any suggestions  appreciated.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 11:30:32 PM

Mine has a rubber sleeve pushed over the shroud,kept in place with a jubilee clip.
Does this help  :-\

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 06:51:00 AM
I have used a cable tie behind the fan housing
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 07:49:20 AM
I seem to recall that there was a small tube that passed through the fan housing to prevent just that. I know that back wen I was using a Type 1 lump that I had one of these little tubes and rollers from Limebug - expensive, but stopped my cable from sawing through the doghouse.

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/1959/roller-throttle-tube-accelerator-cable-guide-25#temp

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 09:23:46 AM
I've always used a length of polythene tubing, truck air brake stuff, around 6mm, right from the back of the chassis, zip tied along the Bowden tube and through the fan housing in a single length.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 05:45:41 PM
The tube, original  that is, has a nick slot in the end that protrudes through the g`box end. The fan housing, again original, has a hole that rather than being a true circle has a lower indent. nick of tube sits at this indent point. keeping it in place.

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 10:28:57 PM

Mine has a rubber sleeve pushed over the shroud,kept in place with a jubilee clip.
Does this help  :-\
did this originally but it has come detached .

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 10:34:05 PM
I've always used a length of polythene tubing, truck air brake stuff, around 6mm, right from the back of the chassis, zip tied along the Bowden tube and through the fan housing in a single length.
ihad this nylon tube from th chassis to the metapipe ,joined with a bit of rubber fuel pipe but it was too short and left the bowden cable exposed. I like the idea of taking the nylon tube right through the fan  housing in one length and doing away with the metal tube. 👍

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 10:37:28 PM
The tube, original  that is, has a nick slot in the end that protrudes through the g`box end. The fan housing, again original, has a hole that rather than being a true circle has a lower indent. nick of tube sits at this indent point. keeping it in place.
thanks I will look at mine but think i will do as dave dnd suggested with the nylon tube all the way , sounds simple and efficient .