Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 04:51:50 PM

Alternator troubles

This is a discussion for the topic Alternator troubles on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Alternator troubles  (Read 260 times)

this user is offline Scottcrowe030

• WHITEHAVEN
  • Sandrail
on: April 05, 2020, 10:12:08 PM
Hi, I'm having troubles with my alternator conversion internally regulated and old voltage regulator gone all wiring is new and as per diagrams off here I've checked all earths checked all continuity and volts at all ends of the wires.

My problem is that I cant get the alternator light to come on at all bulb works when casing is earthed outside the hole in the speedo I've tried to earth the alternator off one of the bolts but nothing is working I've cleaned all the contacts I've been trying to find the problem for a week and I'm at my wits end  :D I read that if you ground D+ the light will come on  then you know the charging gear is ok (light came on)

Does anyone have any ideas before I buy a new alternator?

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:21:38 PM
does the light come on when you remove the df wire on the alternator and touch it to the alternator body or onto an engine part.
the regulator pack and brushes will lift out if you remove the 3? screws around the outside so you can clean the brass contact arms it sit against to make a circuit.

• WHITEHAVEN
  • Sandrail
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 12:07:23 AM
Snoopy thanks for the reply yes the light comes on when I put it to earth should I i try it to a part of the alternator? I've not tried to remove the regulator pack I can look tomorrow after work

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40:06 AM
if it works on the alternator body that proves the wiring so it is an internal fault

• WHITEHAVEN
  • Sandrail
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 03:33:44 PM
Cheers snoopy I thought the same seeing as machine 7 is having a sale I'll get a new alternator.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 04:14:46 PM
as somebody who like old original parts I would remove the rectifier pack it is 2 or 3 screws and lifts out it may just have dirty internal contacts breaking the circuit.

• WHITEHAVEN
  • Sandrail
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 09:40:10 AM
I'll have a look and see if I can salvage it my 15 year old brother just got his first bug might be some use to him