Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 01:08:24 AM

framehead dimensions

This is a discussion for the topic framehead dimensions on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: framehead dimensions  (Read 294 times)

this user is offline buggy_mark

• sidewinder
on: April 04, 2020, 07:31:25 PM
Hi
Hope someone can help ,using 1302 chassis with repro frame head (not impressed) ,I wonder if someone could ,on a standard pan  give me the dimensions between inside of the hat bulkhead to the outside of bottom tube ,also for top tube which should be less to confirm  have it correct before I weld up .. thanks

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:37:34 PM by buggy_mark »

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 04:26:40 PM
Hope these will help, you can click on the images to get a larger version

• sidewinder
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:25:17 AM
hi ,these are great however they do not give the difference between top and bottom tube to give the correct castor angle which is what I am concerned about .

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:53:34 AM
unless you have the same tyres all around you will alter the castor angle plus the shape and dimensions of the new frame heads are not perfect.
have you bolted your beam to the frame head to see how it sits.
getting the tunnel tops level is fine or you could angle it up a bit so it increases castor then if you lower the front by suspension or tyre size you will still have castor angle without the need for shims.

if you want to be spot on you need the pan level ( tunnel top would be a good reference) to axle beam vertical angle correct which will be somewhere around 90 degrees possibly less something I have never measured.

• sidewinder
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 05:08:45 PM
Thanks .. you are absolutely correct the repro frame heads are dreadful ,thatís why I am keeping the 1302 hat area so it gives me some chance of adjusting to get it more correct . I have been sent 2 complete frame heads ,both are twisted between the front beam and body mounts by 1cm so I am not convinced the castor will be correct hence the question re distance between hat and beam ,top and bottom which should tell me if it is in the correct ballpark

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 08:25:33 PM
you have the option to do an install that resembles a pie cut (as the lowered beetle folks do to get castor) le insert the head stock slightly up at the front so it is angled back to give more castor. guess the pie cut folks just increase the angle without worrying about getting it back to original spec.
I would recommend adding more welds to the frame head before fitting as they look tack welded at best

• sidewinder
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:24 AM
Done a bit of reading and working out ,standard castor seems to be 3-4 degrees ,tubes are 14.605 cm apart so that makes bottom tube about 1 cm further forward than the top ,so back to original question ,if I bolt tubes to repro framehead and chassis is level ,distance center of tube to inside hat is 38cm for bottom and 37cm top , tube i think is 5.5cm so 35.5cm bottom 34.5cm top .. does this sound about right ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:43:38 AM by buggy_mark »