Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 06:17:40 PM

Position of steering column

This is a discussion for the topic Position of steering column on the board Beach Buggy Body and Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Position of steering column  (Read 218 times)

this user is offline phillmore

• Bristol / Pembrokeshire
  • Gp mk 3
on: April 04, 2020, 01:25:15 PM
Before I start filling in the many holes in my dashboard -mk3 gp; could anyone tell me where if the column goes through the dash or below it?

I bought the car many years ago in bits, and can see two small holes where a u bracket would hold the column to the dash frame but central to the dashboard and inline with the holes is another badly cut 2” hole.

I appreciate your knowledge.

Phillmore
Old School.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:00:19 PM
Usually through the dash bug it really is up to the builder, how tall he is, seat height etc. Whatever suits you.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:05:49 PM
As David says over the dash frame as normal but put you seat in position first then judge where you need the wheel.

• Gp mk 3
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:05:54 PM
Trouble is I have restored the floor but don’t have seats yet and the tub is sat outside. It does seem that the hole is supposed to be where it is, so I will avoid glassing over that one, but plenty of horrible switch cut outs to bridge.

The floor has its original 67 seat runners which I am hoping to find a way to keep using with whatever seats I get.

So how high do you all sit - I have a tall screen instead of the moulded screen, but am only 5ft 8.
Old School.

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 07:43:36 AM
using the original runners will lift the seats as they go forwards so going through the bottom of the dash as normal should be fine, some people bolt to the floor to sit lower. you could always fit an adjustable column off a newer car like
 a golf.

• Gp mk 3
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:15 PM
Good point about the seat rising moving forward.
So, my priority has to be getting the pedal assembly back in then mock the tub and the steering brace back on it to reveal the ideal position for the steering tube (although I may be governed by the existing hole through the bulkhead).

Old School.