Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2020, 02:57:39 AM

Brake bleed query

This is a discussion for the topic Brake bleed query on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Brake bleed query  (Read 755 times)

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 01:46:13 PM
With a system that was empty I have always gone back after a few days and done it again. You may get no more air out but sometimes you get the odd bubble
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline mad4slalom

• Buggy Meister
  • Near Newquay, cornwall TR2 4 HB
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:58 PM
With a system that was empty I have always gone back after a few days and done it again. You may get no more air out but sometimes you get the odd bubble
thanks Doon I will do it again but taking out the bleed nipple completely as Paul advised  to check running fluid before bleeding. It was frustrating because on the other 3 wheels, the air passed through quickly and had bubble free fluid in the bleed tube, it was the total lack of fluid at the nsf caliper that was driving me nuts 👍😖🤣

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 02:48:25 PM
it was the total lack of fluid at the nsf caliper that was driving me nuts

I have no technical explanation here but over the decades and many many calipers it has been the nearside front that is the annoying one.

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 03:22:47 PM

I have no technical explanation here but over the decades and many many calipers it has been the nearside front that is the annoying one.

hi again paul, I removed both nsf bleed screws, litterally a couple of drops present but no increase when brake pumped. Bled all four again three times plenty of air again but bled til running bubble free, still nothing at nsf though. Phoned just kampers , they are as baffled as we are. Test drove again can lock front wheels evenly on dirt/gravel , brakes pretty much straight on the road , brakes squeaky but to be fair, I wacked the new calipers on without removing pads and copperslipping the backs. I am beginning to suspect an abnormally functioning caliper, JK’s have no problem changing caliper, I thought maybe I should swap the calipers over and see if the problem moves to the os . Any thoughts? Thanks again. 👍

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 04:13:28 PM
there may be some build debris in the calliper if you take the hose off the calliper have you got full fluid flow
down the hose.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
That’s a good test from Snoopy. Check for a flattened supply line from the master cylinder 🤷🏻‍♂️

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 07:50:18 AM
it is possible if a pipe seat casting is wrong or the joint is severely overtightened the pipe flare can crush and close up.
there are 2 pipe end flares convex is stage one of the process, then another die is used to push the centre in to make stage 2 a concave flare. Beetles use stage 1 convex flares on the pipes.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:46 AM
Without reading the whole thread and without stating the obvious have you tried loosening the pipe/hose that goes into the caliper. If fluid is pumping out of there but not getting through the caliper then the caliper's at fault, if there's no fluid coming from the hose then there's a blockage between the m/cyl and the caliper.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 03:12:00 PM
hi again paul, I removed both nsf bleed screws, litterally a couple of drops present but no increase when brake pumped. Bled all four again three times plenty of air again but bled til running bubble free, still nothing at nsf though. Phoned just kampers , they are as baffled as we are. Test drove again can lock front wheels evenly on dirt/gravel , brakes pretty much straight on the road , brakes squeaky but to be fair, I wacked the new calipers on without removing pads and copperslipping the backs. I am beginning to suspect an abnormally functioning caliper, JK’s have no problem changing caliper, I thought maybe I should swap the calipers over and see if the problem moves to the os . Any thoughts? Thanks again

Just to be sure.... are you saying both front wheels lock up evenly on gravel with no pull to one side or the other  ?    If so both front calipers are operating equally.  (And importantly so is the front circuit master cylinder plunger). I have come across  new caliper issues in the past, but not often, whereby the piston seizes in caliper when it it is forced back into caliper to clear brake pads at fitting. I have seen bleed valve drillings incomplete. However both of these things are rare and result in an inoperative caliper.   If you have equal front wheel braking I think there is no air in there but something is preventing the fluid exiting the bleed screw drilling. Even if you have equal braking at the moment I would as JK to replace the caliper as you may need to bleed again one day. Swapping calipers over would give some further insight.  If you are persistently getting air from rear wheels also  then I would take a look see that the fluid resevoir remains full throughout bleeding. Check unions at master cylinder, at rigid line to flexi and flexi at caliper\rear brake cylinder.

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 10:26:58 PM
Without reading the whole thread and without stating the obvious have you tried loosening the pipe/hose that goes into the caliper. If fluid is pumping out of there but not getting through the caliper then the caliper's at fault, if there's no fluid coming from the hose then there's a blockage between the m/cyl and the caliper.
yes, tried loosening flexi from caliper and plenty of fluid . New caliper on its way, very helpful chaps at Just Kampers, no quibble ,even pay the postage for the return of faulty caliper. Great company. Will report back when fitted, thanks again everyone for all help and advice. 👍

• Buggy Meister
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 10:58:40 PM
yes, tried loosening flexi from caliper and plenty of fluid . New caliper on its way, very helpful chaps at Just Kampers, no quibble ,even pay the postage for the return of faulty caliper. Great company. Will report back when fitted, thanks again everyone for all help and advice. 👍
well , thanks all for all the help and advice, new caliper arrived from JK. Swapped it over , bled that one then re bled all 4 corners again, lovely firm pedal, much more feel now as original old calipers had always been vicious and way too easy to lock up. Best brakes I have ever had, just wished I had renewed during  the build originally. Great outcome, many thanks to all again. 👍

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 08:26:55 AM
As they say... always light at the end of the tunnel. Well done for persevering and for proving to yourself that brakes on any vehicle can be spot on.

As for J.K. It`s nice to be able to say something positive in that they absorbed the return cost.  ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 10:55:32 AM
well , thanks all for all the help and advice, new caliper arrived from JK. Swapped it over , bled that one then re bled all 4 corners again, lovely firm pedal, much more feel now as original old calipers had always been vicious and way too easy to lock up. Best brakes I have ever had, just wished I had renewed during  the build originally. Great outcome, many thanks to all again. 👍

Glad you got it sorted.

Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 01:24:48 PM
It is worrying that something that important can come out faulty with all sorts of people working on cars.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 02:19:56 PM
Have come across defective calipers several time over the decades Keith.. Once where the piston simply would not travel forward when the pedal was pressed after fitting caliper. Odd in that the piston body does not touch the caliper barrel, (or maybe in this case the seal allowed it to). Two other occasions the port that makes up the bleed nipple point was not drilled 100% through. These occasions quite a while back when Unipart was the place to go. Never had a single issue though with drum brake cylinders.  ;D