Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2020, 12:58:32 PM

Has my buggy been cloned?

This is a discussion for the topic Has my buggy been cloned? on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: Has my buggy been cloned?  (Read 2135 times)

this user is offline 93fxdl

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
on: March 21, 2020, 03:36:46 PM
Just bought a project manta Ray with king and link front end and an L registration, it has two chassis numbers, the original and a riveted on one, log book says vw saloon and matches the riveted plate. The original chassis number leads to a k reg blue beach buggy currently on sorn. but I have no log book.
Just wondering if I should open this time of worms and apply for the log book

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 03:49:30 PM
On a vin date check, the original vin comes up as November 58 build date
Ttfn Glenn

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 03:58:24 PM
VIN number is a critical part of a legally registered road going vehicle. Vin number for a Beetle relates to that stamped into the tunnel top with asterick either side. A riveted vin plate on the chassis is not legal. A beetle etc has a riveted plate on its bodyshell which has an embossed vin number plus other details. To be legally compliant the V5C must have a vin number matching the original stamped number on the tunnel top.

The floorpan\chassis section of Type 1 & 3 were available from main agents as an official spare as were engine casings. The chassis and engine casings had no vin number stamped upon them. Engine numbers could be stamped yourself. Chassis vins... the dvla had to issue you with written permission to have a replacement chassis stamped with the vehicles original vin and the stamping had to be carried out by a dvla approved commercial\engineering shop.

I am not going to advise re- approaching the dvla. I have done this several times in days gone by and learned my lesson.

What I will say is if you buy a buggy or donor do yourself a big favour and ensure the vin is present as per ex-factory and that it matches 100% with the V5C

this user is offline brummie_steve

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:24 AM
Just bought a project manta Ray with king and link front end and an L registration, it has two chassis numbers, the original and a riveted on one, log book says vw saloon and matches the riveted plate. The original chassis number leads to a k reg blue beach buggy currently on sorn. but I have no log book.
Interested how you traced a reg number from a chassis number?

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:19:39 AM
Interested how you traced a reg number from a chassis number?

Me too ??? ;-)up
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:30:31 AM
There used to be some online sites hat did that a while back, and I think that some car dealerships have better access to some government sites than we do through their subscription based hpi check service

A lot of them clamped down when we were debating the Brexit stuff and the silly rules were coming out thick and fast, but I`m sure that there will still be some out there
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 04:07:41 PM
There's no win no fee services on eBay who will track the reg from a vin, around about a fiver
I used  isitnicked.com   put in your vin and it came back with part of the registration, description and current sorn status
Ttfn Glenn

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 03:43:32 PM
I know it is an old post..  The Rag may pop up with a hpi check If so get a good one and see if it has a big Cat make etc agent it !! If you got the Reg  Just put in for the v5 whit a V62.. More so If the engine numbers are the some .. I do live it the real world..So It may just be a case of someone pulled it out of a barn and it had no v5 so they gave it one :-X.. A like for like chassis swap!!! as 20years ago you had no hope of getting a reg from just a vin ....The dvla by not giving out a reg form the Vin can work for you or against you.
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 09:58:50 AM
Further digging has possibly found a mess of dodgy dealing.
Looking like the buggy id has been used in a speedster replica which got pulled up by vosa for being incorrectly registered.
A speedster in need of iva became a buggy with a good logbook
Ttfn Glenn

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
Bad luck. Makes you want to punch the person who set you up...

So the buggy ID is that has been a speedster is the one actually stamped on the chassis not the one on the riveted plate that is now a MantaRay ?

I ask because I thought the one on the chassis came back as a blue beach buggy on SORN.
Hugh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 11:15:19 AM
That is not good and you are stuck with the original VW chassis number and a VW saloon description V5 so that would be ok for a lwb buggy build with an unmodified pan. Wonder who owns the blue buggy that is sorn if it exists other than on the sysyem.

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:35:53 PM
Think I may just roll the dice with dvla and apply for a logbook.
I have a chassis with a clear original vin showing and a riveted on tag.
If it goes pear shaped i still have other options
As an aside, unless things have changed, the v5 has no legal status, it is not a legal document.Ttfn

The original vin stamped on chassis relates to a blue buggy which I have no documents for.
The riveted on tag relates to a vw saloon which I have a v5 for
Ttfn Glenn
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:37:37 PM by 93fxdl »

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 05:30:25 PM
the v5 has no legal status,

Don`t assume this to be 100% correct.  Many a document assumes legal status the moment it is submitted within a court of law as an item of evidence. (The thing to remember about the V5C is that it is not proof of ownership).

Say this due to experience,,,

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 08:34:58 PM
the v5 has no legal status,

Don`t assume this to be 100% correct.  Many a document assumes legal status the moment it is submitted within a court of law as an item of evidence. (The thing to remember about the V5C is that it is not proof of ownership).

Say this due to experience,,,

I have to agree - also due to experience (twice)  >:(
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 07:54:53 AM
Not being nasty here but some people have to learn the hard way. Treat DVLA contact of all type with kid gloves and great care. A very small minority get lucky... the rest do not.