Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 06:56:33 PM

Fuel filter

This is a discussion for the topic Fuel filter on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Fuel filter  (Read 1000 times)

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
on: March 08, 2020, 01:56:32 PM
Yesterday's run out in the MantaRay was cut short at 10 miles with total loss of power. The engine re-started but I could see the fuel filter was empty despite the facet pump clicking away.

I limped home at 20mph and for the last few hundred yards crawled in first slower than walking.

Snoopy then provided expert WhatsAp advice and encouragement.

When I took the fuel filter off I spotted the exit was crimped.

This wasn't sufficient to cause the fuel starvation as there was still half the diameter available and besides the fuel wasn't even arriving fast enough at the filter but clearly I needed to be careful tightening the new filter into place.

The fuel pump flow rate seemed a bit slow so I took the pump off and found nothing was flowing by gravity out of the copper tube emerging from the tunnel.

Blowing up the line didn't seem to achieve anything but a few lung fulls pressurised into the tank made fuel start flowing well so I reconnected the pump and measured 3.75 gallons per hour flow rate.

So re-assembled pump, hoses and new filter and went for 5/6 mile test run. All good except I can now see there is a v v slow seepage of fuel from the pump around where the wires go into it.

Snoopy was as usual terrific and so I'm ordering a new pump, regulator, some hose, clips and filter (want a spare).

But I fear I have some historic crud in my tank or fuel lines that will bite my a**e again so yet another thing that needs sorting !

Hugh

this user is online Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 02:36:53 PM
Hugh, if you have a standard beetle fuel tank you may also have a gauze filter inside the tank as part of the connector pipe, this is also somewhere that can get clogged up, (see photo).  One thing I've done to try and prevent metallic rubbish from entering the fuel lines from the tank is to attach some strong neodymium magnets to the bottom of the tank, one at the lowest point and a couple near the outlet pipe, not my idea, it was something I saw Dave Mayer had done,

Have fun. Be lucky

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 04:33:06 PM
Manta rays have a built in custom tank so advised Hugh if the do have a union be careful undoing it as it may turn and rip out of a rusty tank. Endoscope required for a look inside the tank me thinks. Guess you could drain it vent the fumes and get the hover out to try and suck the crud out.
Turning a buggy upside down and shaking it is not feasible.

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:01:17 PM
Thanks Paul.

Keith is of course correct the MantaRay has a bodge (stretching the meaning of custom!) tank and Im sure any fitting on it is well rusted and best treated with kid gloves. If it wasnt so in accessible Id be all for taking the whole lot out.

Hugh

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 06:07:53 PM

Re: fuel flow.

Guys, need to be aware the fascists are about to introduce E10 fuel. A bigger challenge to fuel lines  bleugh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 07:24:54 PM
thinking outside the box it may be possible to put a new pick up pipe down into the tank so it is above the crud but then it would need a front mounted pump to suck up and out or it is column disconnected, body bolts out and flip the shell over.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 07:37:33 PM
Endoscope required for a look inside the tank me thinks.

I have a brand new USB one for 9.99 posted if needed -  use on a laptop
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 08:05:55 PM
 Is the  :-Xfacet pump under the tank!
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 10:03:09 PM

Re: fuel flow.

Guys, need to be aware the fascists are about to introduce E10 fuel. A bigger challenge to fuel lines  bleugh

It's only! jets that may need looking at as you need 15%?!! more fuel with E10 ,, The U.S has had e10 for years So a 34pict3 carb will need? a 130-132.5!!main and 55! idle "but it is an open book" as c/r and timing comes in to play as well ,, A facet pump will flow fuel for twin carb 2332cc ok at that I work on" an oval that had a 2276cc that ran 13's, 1/4 mile with a 3mm fuel reserve tap still on the tank ::) E fuels are a con in way they are sold and just a moneymaker as you will be using more fuel so in a way they need to be sold as E-10mile less,,
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy