Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2020, 11:51:11 PM

adjustable spring plates advice please

This is a discussion for the topic adjustable spring plates advice please on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: adjustable spring plates advice please  (Read 158 times)

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Addict
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
on: February 03, 2020, 06:41:32 PM
I'm going to fit adjustable spring plates to the buggy in the near future so was after some advice before i begin.
I'm ok with all parts of the job as dropped my previous buggy a spline or 2 to take off the camber but what i don't know with the adjustable plates is, what position do i need to have them to start? Do i need to adjust the plates so they are dead straight like the ones i take off and set same angle as they came off and then adjust the screw to get the ride height as i like it? Does that sound correct? Obviously with new rubbers installed.

this user is offline HUDGE BUGGY

• Buggy Meister
  • Lowestoft, Suffolk
  • GP Mk2 Super Buggy LWB
WE GET OLD COS WE STOP PLAYING

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Addict
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 07:49:03 PM
Cheers, very helpful, although it doesn't answer the question of what position the plates should be at for a starting point so i would assume same angle as taken off and adjustable plates in a straight line.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:47:03 PM
if you were happy with the height I would mount them adjusted to the 1/2 way point with the axle mtg holes in the same position as the originals in the released position, then you can go up and down from your original position.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 02:09:13 PM
Don`t get bogged down with anything technical here.  No two buggies will be running around with plates at the same angle of slope.

yes you can start with the two plates with top edges parallel but be prepared to carry out the indexing thing a few times as you may find you have no adjustment in one direction. keiths point is worth considering. You will need to have them on and off to get you where you want your buggies ride height to be and have equal up\down adjustment via the grub screw. (There is not a load of adjustment in total here anyway).

You will need new bushes. They are specific to adjustable plates and are not the same as origiinals. Remember you have two plate thicknesses so the bolts at torsion cap will need to be a bit longer than standard items. Also have 4 long bolts to hand. These will be needed to allow you to get the torsion bar cap end in place and tightened up with the bushes in place correctly. When plate cap is in place remove 1 bolt at a time replacing it with your  final bolt. (Note 8.8 grade bolts a no-no here. Go 10.9 or higher.. therefore NOT stainless steel).

Your aim should be to get the suspension at a point where it is not settling hard up against the bump stop. Also ensure the swing axle tube has a minimum slope downwards of 2 degrees from g`box end to hub end. This to ensure the bearing is not starved of oil.

I have done a number of these swaps and it is a case of trial and error. You are aware of the "indexing" process so you are 95% there before you start.