Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2020, 06:26:21 AM

Steering column to steering box joint

This is a discussion for the topic Steering column to steering box joint on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Steering column to steering box joint  (Read 688 times)

this user is offline Guy

on: January 13, 2020, 09:51:24 PM
I was considering adding a UJ to my steering set up to allow a better angle and alignment of my steering column. By doing this I could have a lower steering wheel position and centralise it to the seat.  I would achieve this by bolting the two flanges together and then placing the UJ between the output flange which would be held into the UJ with a grub screw and probably weld too. The output from the UJ would then fit into the collapsible steering column as standard spec. Can anyone see any issues with this? Anyone have any better ideas?

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:49 PM
Been looking at a similar idea for my new front end as I have to change the angle of the column

Most I have seen seem to run with two joints though - Not a single one    :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:03:50 PM
Looking to get mines done too, but I'm hopeless with a ruler and angle grinder.....

I guess you could do it with a double UJ like: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/universal-joints/7906750/ You can order fitted gaiters for them from RS online too, so easy to keep em greased up and clean.

Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:34:47 PM
Take a look at the uj joints and column rods available from Car Builder Solutions. I will be surprised if you cannot find what you need from their selection. They provide the material grades\specs so you can be confident that the parts are steering suitable. They also show the old school way of welding up a uj without damaging the joint. (yes welding will alter the material but this can be addressed).

this user is offline PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:12:31 PM
Been looking at a similar idea for my new front end as I have to change the angle of the column

Most I have seen seem to run with two joints though - Not a single one    :-\

Because if you only run one UJ you'll get horribly inconsistent steering as the output and input will be out of phase with each other. Two UJ's matched correctly correct most of that.
One of them mucky ones. Sorry.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 06:16:57 PM
Thought it may be something like that -

Which way are you supposed to join them?   ???
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:25:01 PM
Fixed parts on the ends of the shaft are inline with each other as per this Rover assy.