Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 09:50:27 PM

Carbs

This is a discussion for the topic Carbs on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Carbs  (Read 586 times)

this user is offline Dipsy Deb

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
on: December 27, 2019, 06:40:52 PM
Hi wishing everyone a happy new year before asking a question.  Just checking my buggy has a 34Pict-3 carb is this the correct one for a 1972 1300cc dual port engine. My engine seems to be cutting out and difficulty starting since fixing the leak on the petrol tank. Appreciate thoughts on this please. Deb 👍
🔷Dipsy Deb

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:25:34 PM
If it was running ok in the past then can only be something that has changed

Don't know the story of the tank but could crud from it have got in the system? If so a carb clean may fix it.

It's also got a bit cooler now so are your heat risers working? Is choke working? Loads on here about warmth to carbs, Peter's site is well worth a look.

Of all else ok then check for air leaks in manifolds and exhaust

If it was running ok in the past on this carb it suggests it should be alright

Good luck
Dave
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:39:26 AM
Since fixing the tank, you may have had dirt or something go down the line to the carb after disturbing the tank and pipe work. I would suggest you clean the carb and check the fuel pump delivery.

Carb— carefully screw in the 2 screws air and fuel counting the exact number of turns from fully in (gently till they stop not hard in) then remove them. This way you can reset them after cleaning by fully in and count the turns back out. Then strip and clean carb.

Fuel pump you need a Fuel safe see through container to put the Outlet pipe in then crank the motor over to see what delivery there is.

Or it may be coincidence the points have gone so a quick tune up may be in order.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:34:06 AM
That carb is off a 1600tp engine, a1300 would have had a 30 or 31 carb.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 05:32:46 PM
 ;) someone has!! built a 1600-1641? from a 1300 engine
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Lucky you  ;D

this user is offline Dipsy Deb

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:55:15 AM
Thanks alot all. Waiting for someone to refurb carb and reset because since petrol tank pipe replaced buggy prob having too much fuel now instead of it being starved before.  On wards and upwards before next mot in Feb. So hoping I can eventually attend a few of the gatherings in my buggy in 2020. 👍 Deb
🔷Dipsy Deb

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 07:08:15 PM

Probably a sticking float. A standard, mechanical fuel pump should give you an issue.

Best to all  ;-)(-; ;-)(-;