Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2020, 02:38:59 AM

Rear torsion spring plate angle

This is a discussion for the topic Rear torsion spring plate angle on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Rear torsion spring plate angle  (Read 260 times)

this user is offline Guy

on: December 21, 2019, 01:57:40 PM
Hoping for some advice on the angle required for the spring plates when they are at rest.  I took one side off and ping out it popped without much tension. I index marked the bar to the plate but the bar came out from the inner spline. After cussing and swearing 🤬 I took more care on the other side and at rest the spring plate measures 12 degrees from horizontal.  There really is not much pre load on these at all so I can only assume it was adjusted in the past from what a stock beetle is (around 20 degrees) because it is so much lighter.

Does this sound about right? I am more questioning my measurement than the current setting because it sat nicely.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 02:31:25 PM
If you have the plate to bar marked realign that and putting it back in you will soon find the inner position as moving it up or down one spline you will notice the difference from when you pulled it out and released the tension.
I release the tension then scribe a line along the top of the plate onto the rear casting so you have the original setting to work up and down from.

this user is offline Guy

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 03:09:16 PM
Thanks snoopy. I realised my mistake when the first one came out. I have made a mark as you suggested. Hopefully I will be able to find it after blasting and paint. Not that far off that stage but I keep finding reasons not to send it to be painted yet.

Seat mounts are in the process of being made from 3mm folded sheet steel, similar to what you used to be able to get from flatlands. They need to be positioned and welded first.  Then I got hung up on the roll bar mounting. I really donít see how the rollbar mounting into the floor pan will not just fail in the event the buggy tipped over.  Donít get me wrong I donít expect to drive like a may need a roll cage but it would be nice to know if I found myself slowly falling into a ditch the the roll bar may just stop the buggy resting on my head.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 08:55:49 PM
a single hoop roll bar needs bolting through the body and pan with spreader plates top and bottom with high tensile bolts then either brace bars triangulated to the floor in front and or plates welded to the hoop near the top of the tub and bolted through with spreader plates. unless you want to make holes in the tub to go down to the rear.
My original snoopy buggy lwb rolled and the bar was fine bur it depends on the speed and impact but a buggy is not a safety cell.

A South African one from a few years ago where the owner jumped out before a big pick up went over it at the back of standing traffic and took everything off the pan.
 https://images.app.goo.gl/zvhnpft7VpVuAiEa6

this user is offline Guy

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 08:53:36 AM
Rule #1 of classic cars, donít crash. Rule #2 treat it like a motorbike.

This roll hoop will need a bit of work. It just locates on the pan and attaches to the body at the sides. No triangulation.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:46:45 PM
Without triangulation they work even the screen did pretty well, this was floor and plate near top of body. triangulation should improve the seat belt action if they are fitted.