Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 04:03:21 AM

Front torsion arm wear

This is a discussion for the topic Front torsion arm wear on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Front torsion arm wear  (Read 682 times)

this user is offline Guy

on: December 17, 2019, 04:19:54 PM
My front torsion arms have scrapes on the inner surface where it runs in the bush. I can get these repaired by welding and then grinding them down or by grinding them down and making a new nylon bush. How do you get the old bush out? I am sure it must be mullered if the shaft is like this. When I but the torsion arm into the beam I cannot feel any play though. The scoring only affects 180 degrees of the shaft as well

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:21:49 PM by Guy »

this user is offline grissley

• Buggy Meister
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 08:01:21 PM
You can get new ones, and fit new bearings (  not crap poly ones).

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:33:15 PM
Looks like a lack of greasing, I have never had to change any bushes due to play as change of arm cured the only one I have ever had. They knock out from the opposite side if you want to change them but as said not poly crap.

this user is offline Guy

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 09:49:46 PM
I decided again poly. Iíll have a look at the bush tomorrow. There is not any movement that I can feel. Maybe I can weld and then surface grind them. That or it £300 from lime bug

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 10:18:43 PM
I've had orange urethane bushes fitted since I built mine as all bushes and bearings were shot and the bearing surface on the arms was scored.
Mine are a lot softer than the rock hard plastic type EMPI crap ones that you can buy now but I think Latest Rage have started remaking good quality copies.
I've never had an issue and they are a lot easier to fit than bearings and bushes.
I have fitted new inner bushes to Daiís buggy and they were shocking quality, they even suggested filing them on the instructions to make them fit.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 09:31:20 AM
Original bushes were generally bi metal type, a bit like a camshaft bush but pattern, non genuine beams usually had a sort of fibre/mica type of bush. Just check what youve got before buying.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Guy

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:05:23 AM
Job list for today is to get in there and find out whatís inside. Do you think these arms are recoverable?

this user is offline Guy

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 11:35:55 AM
Looks like a brass bush so standard original beam

this user is offline Guy

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 12:21:27 PM
Well I can get hold of Delrin rod in a 40mm OD so I could then machine the ID to 37mm. I could then run a delrin inner bush and a bearing on the outer. The Delrin should be far more forgiving if the surface of the torsion arm is not absolutely 100% spot on.

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 01:05:25 PM
That sounds like a great idea, Iíd be interested in 4 for when mine need replacing.

this user is offline PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 12:02:20 PM
I run Delrin bushes in the racer, work fine for wear. You will get a bit worse ride quality than say, needle bearings though, just because they do add a decent amount more friction. Make sure you groove them so lube can get around them properly.
One of them mucky ones. Sorry.

this user is offline Guy

Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 05:34:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I would not have known to put groves in them. With that in mind is the surface of the torsion arm ok to run as it is or should I refinish like new....(or as close too) I may run bearings on the outer because there is not any evidence of wear.

Edit, 50mm delrin rod arrived today. Hope to get these sorted after the Christmas shut down.

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 09:38:32 PM
All I did was take anything that was proud of the finished surface off with 1200 wet and dry, Because I have urethane bushes throughout I use red rubber grease instead of moly.

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 08:13:25 AM
Good stuff !

In our world of plasticky materials, Delrin is without a doubt THE first choice
when it comes to front beams!

Easy to machine to very close tolerance, slipperyness built in, its hard with dimensional stability
and a huge HUGE resistance to wear, many gears are also made out of the stuff too.

A no brainer in my opinion!  ;D

Peter
'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'