Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 03:41:05 PM

Wanted: fuel tank

This is a discussion for the topic Wanted: fuel tank on the board Parts Wanted.

Author Topic: Wanted: fuel tank  (Read 386 times)

this user is offline Luddite

• Buggy Addict
  • Valley of the Concrete Cows
  • GP2 SWB / GT LWB
on: October 08, 2019, 11:11:48 AM
My wifeís GT has been off the road for so long that Iím now getting daily Ďremindersí.  The main thing keeping it in the garage is the fuel tank; the old one rotted through and the rust is so extensive that itís really not worth fixing.  Also, as it was fitted to the last GP-tubbed incarnation of the buggy, the filler neckís in slightly the wrong place for the GT hood opening.

So Iím either after a new one to modify, or one in good condition (no rot!) that has the neck as far up the centreline as it can get.  Anyone got anything I can use? If not, whereís the best place to get a tank?

The tank Iíve gotÖ.

The filler position I needÖ

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:45:27 PM
I have got a tank which was clearance'd for a buggy, it might have been for a GT. I don't think it ever got used on the road! Just has a bit of light surface rust in places from standing about. I am not too far from you, at NN6 6JU. How's £35 sound?

Rob

this user is offline Luddite

• Buggy Addict
  • Valley of the Concrete Cows
  • GP2 SWB / GT LWB
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:45 AM
Hi Rob.

Thanks for the offer (itís a great price!) but Iím either after an already-modified one or if it has to be modified, one which hasnít had fuel in.  I know thereís things you can do to mitigate the risk of vapour ignition but Iíd rather eliminate that worry entirely if poss.

Thanks anyway.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 01:24:47 PM
This has not had petrol in it for at least 4 years, so no risk of ignition  ;D ;D but it's up to you!. Mike the exhaust man, moved the filler pipe for me on mine, did a great job  ;-)up

Rob

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:31:46 AM
Take care.... Get it right 1st time. Ancient tanks can be internally corroded and there is the possibilty of sealant having being sloshed about at sometime in its life. Ethanol quantity in todays fuel will eat through any paper thin metal or sealant faster than you eat your breakfast.   ;D

this user is offline Eagle

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 11:34:54 AM
I have an internal tank that's fairly new. My mate is a welder and has done thanks for me before. Perhaps if you want to send some details I can speak to him about altering the filler position. I'm located in Devon.

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 11:56:33 AM
You could go for a one off build ally one by making a cardboard one as a pattern.