Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2020, 01:13:21 AM

a good 1600cc engine

This is a discussion for the topic a good 1600cc engine on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: a good 1600cc engine  (Read 317 times)

this user is offline gasaxe

• Edit Enabled
  • Beach Buggy
  • west bromwich
  • sidewinder
on: October 05, 2019, 01:16:41 PM
Hi all, thinking of a winter project, has anyone ever built a fast 1600cc engine, eg big valve heads, hot cam etc. I dont really want to go down the 2000cc road.

Secondly is a 1800/2000cc engine worth the extra money, over a 1600cc....????

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:02:34 PM
I built a 1641 with an Engle w110 cam, 041 heads with single strong valve springs, lightened flywheel, bolt together rockers, chrom moly pushrods, twin Kadrons and a 4 into 1 silencer once. Most of the psrts were second hand, salvaged from a (once) North West based race engine builder's scrap bin.If I say so myself it absolutely flew in my old GP and would keep up with any 1776 or similar.

It ended up in a Manx that I (should never) have sold!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:25:40 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline gasaxe

• Edit Enabled
  • Beach Buggy
  • west bromwich
  • sidewinder
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 05:26:48 PM
hmmm just want I was thinking/hoping. Thanks for the info

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:10:46 PM
As David say's, this will give you more power at a lot more rev's. So you will have to make sure that the bottom end is in tip top condition and all fully balanced or it will not last long if you drive it enthusiastically :D :D

Rob

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Addict
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:03:44 PM
You can get good hp out of a hot 1600cc If you do get a counterweighted crank as the hp is going to come from the high rpm Or Turbo :D 1600 less money and more hp and there are lots of ways to do  on the cheap,,I used a T3 an old header a metro carb and built one over a weekend, back in 05!! It ended up in a bay van and got into the sub 16s 1/4 mile at the pod and it ran like a haunted sh..-house as the guy how talked me into selling it did not have a clue ::) how to set it up
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy