Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2020, 02:46:45 AM

King pin replacement

This is a discussion for the topic King pin replacement on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: King pin replacement  (Read 325 times)

this user is offline JohnnyV

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
on: September 23, 2019, 08:54:59 PM
I have looked at some of the previous threads on this topic but wanted to get some feedback. The top king pins on my buggy probably need replacement. I have adjusted and regreased a few times but one of the top pins still has a lot of movement and in fact I think this is a reason why my steering is a bit wandering. Is it ok to just replace pins or should it be rebushed or may get a completely refurbished. I see Lime Bug do a range of refurbished parts on an exchange basis.
One more question...... What do guys fit on the front shocks ? As the Car is not carrying much weight on the front do you keep standard or softer ? Or go for fully adjustable.  Thanks for any feedback.

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 09:29:47 PM
You need special tools to service the link pins properly, So I had a pair done by Lime Bug, they did a great job! Just make sure you put the right amount of shims back in and in the right places. Standard shocks work best on beach buggy's

Rob

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:23:17 AM
Thanks Rob. I see info and videos on how to check the amount of shims and probably worth a double check due to the age of the car as I'm sure parts have been changed over the years.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:16 AM
By the top pin do you mean the link pin which is an easy job to change at home. Shim placement depends on the offset of the trailing arms.

As Rob says the king pin needs a self aligning adjustable reamer to do the job after putting the new bushes in.

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:27:17 AM
I seem to remember some years used 8 shims and some used 10 shims or something like that :D :D It was a year or so when I used them but they were  refurbing yours rather than exchange recon. So they liked to wait till they had half a dozen or so to do before they got on with them, So think about what you want to do to your buggy over the winter, as it might be stuck on jacks for a month or two ;-)up

Rob

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:34:41 AM
Yes snoopy it's the link pins that are loose and seem to have reached their limit for adjustment. Looking at the whole link pin and king pin unit itself was just wondering if it's better getting a refurbished unit.
So can the link pins be changed without doing anything else or do you have change any of the bushes too.?

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 08:46:45 AM
It is the bushes which tend to wear rather than the pins :)

Rob

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 04:36:13 PM
Link pin bushes go in with a socket and hammer an easy job. Just count the shims either side of it then measure the face offset on the trailing arms to see if they were correct or not. Will take an hour to do a side.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 02:59:12 PM
There are two shimming versions depending upon the age of the assembly. It is either 8 or 10. Later versions have o rings and cups as well.  If your link pins are beyond adjustment I can guarantee that the king pins will need replacement. Link pins come out easily but kingpins do not. A great deal of hammering is required and it is essential that the carrier is not bent in the process. (To give you some idea of how VW removed king pins the assembly was left in a heated oil bath at 80oC for 24 hours prior to disassembly. this made the job simple).

I have lost count of how many king\link pins I have replaced over the years. The offset between the top and bottom torsion arm is easily measured but it`s a point to make that the shimming guide was worked out by VW to give the front wheels sufficient "camber" to give a Beetle a fair degree of "self centering" but all there calcs were based on corner weights etc, etc of a Beetle. Buggies are far lighter but use VW`s shimming numbers anyway.

I know of no "local" garage who have changed king\link pins AND checked\re-done the spacer in the carrier. I know that limebug does this on a jig so you know what you get back from them is as close to VW original as possible. As for the cost... my opinion only.... Limebug charge is well worth paying for.

VW, way back when I was a lad and long before, offered 2 types of reamer for you to buy. The rolls royce was in fact an extended length adjustable reamer. The other which was cheaper and all I could afford as a lad was not adjustable. It had a fixed finishing diameter of .710.  These are still available but I have a comment regarding this.  When VW made all their own king\link pins and bushes the bushes were of good standard material and they would ream perfectly each and every time. The bushes and link pins and king pins now are of such variable diameters and crap  metal that an adjustable reamer is the way I would go if you had one. Taking metal from the bush a tiny bit at a time.

Lot of words here..... I am all for trying things oneself and I always did when I couldn`t afford anything else. But this job needs determination and the bushes for the king pins MUST have the top and bottom bushes bored perfectly parallel. If not you may get the king pin in but the bushes will be worn out within a year or less.   Good look whichever way you go. ;-)up ;-)up

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 03:55:17 PM
Thank you Paul for your experience. As I know little about what has been done mechanically on my buggy (although it was reassuring to find all the grease nipples working and with some remains of grease when new pumped in) I will probably opt for refurbished units so I have a sound basis to start from.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:06:12 AM
Wise choice... honestly  ;-)up ;-)up.. By the time you purchase the replacement king pins, link pins and bushes you are at least half way to limebugs charge. Once replaced you then have a sound basis for your front steering. Remove grease nipples before you send off the assemblies and keep them safe. Refit upon re-fitting to buggy with plenty of grease on link pins etc. Fit to the torsion arms. From rear tighten up the link pins fully then back off a fraction. Tighten clamp bolt fully and grease via the nipples. Push the gun on and keep firmly up against the nipple and fill. You will see grease ooze out. Wait for about 500 miles or so of driving and then re-do the link pin tightening sequence. Then same each year. Take care when fitting drum back on. Don`t overtighten the nut on stub axle. Tighten nut up fully then back off until you can move the spacer behind the nut.. side to side with a screwdriver. Then tighten up 2nd nut, (if you havn`t got the later single securing thing), taking care that the 1st nut does not rotate also. ("left hand side spindle thread"  -  "left hand thread").  ;-)up ;-)up