Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:13:50 PM

Couple of queries

This is a discussion for the topic Couple of queries on the board Newbie Welcome Area.

Author Topic: Couple of queries  (Read 329 times)

this user is offline joepineapples

• Rugby
on: August 09, 2019, 07:54:58 AM
Hi and thanks for adding me.

The better half has suggested for my belated 50th Birthday present that WE I think she means me should have a project. I did consider another Series LR but she suggested a buggy, (not sure if she's been smoking something).
I have a reasonable grasp of what's required and it would be a LWB Doon.
My 1st of probably many questions is, and I'm looking for opinions here.....
Do I start with a donor car with relevant paperwork etc or do I  start with just a bare chassis and build it up, obtain necessary paperwork etc if needed? I'm curious as to what you suggest and why

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:14:03 AM
 (not sure if she's been smoking something).   Obviously all the right credentials required for buggy ownership.. ;D

A book could be written regarding your queries... You will get lots of replies from the lads on here.

For me... I would try to get as mch in the way of correct V5 documentation ensuring that the vin number of V5 matches that of whatever chassis or full donor beetle you opt for. DVLA is so non conforming with each and every person you have contact with within it`s organisation. Differing interpretation with just about every one of their employees. You can be lucky or you can hit a brick wall.. :'(

I started with a donor beetle.... I didn`t realise how poor the quality of repo parts is.  A donor gives the chance to utilise as many original parts as you can. Either way parts purchase adds up cost wise so be prepared.
As for a donor chassis... try to ensure the central tunnel, rear horns and especially the front head is solid. Replacement floorpans are available but you do need the original spec thickness ones. You can get "new" manufacture pans in a the "shortened length from one of the members on here. Also see his ebay site.

This just a few words to help you on your way. Ask questions here as often as you need. Nothing you ask is too silly so be brave and ask

Wishing you good luck which ever way you go.  P.    ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:28:38 AM
A complete donor beetle or a buggy in need of upgrades to fit a Doon tub on, the only difference will be keeping a record and photos of the build to get the V5 from beetle to convertible or whatever DVLA will call a buggy these days.
Either will need a full overhaul and check over and building to what specification you want. Both beetle and buggy may have parts you can sell off.

Keep us posted.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 09:08:43 AM
Welcome aboard  ;-)up

LWB Doon Eh?  Well deciding on your shell is a good start, and the DOON is certainly of the utmost quality  ;-)up

Starting from scratch with a Donor Beetle is certainly more challenging, but could also be most rewarding - there will be pitfalls and hurdles along the way, there are plenty on here to guide you, but it really depends on your own skills.

Re-shelling an existing Buggy is an easier way to go, just make sure that the parts are all in good nick if you intend to re-use them.

Whatever you end up doing, documentation and avoiding the rustworm are key to success

Look forward to reading about your progress, and feel free to fire away any daft questions on here.

If you are near Torbay, then more than welcome to crawl over mine for any ideas if it helps.   8)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:48:20 AM

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:49:05 AM
You're at Rugby so well within the MBC sphere of regular activity so plenty of nearby experts to call and see or invite around.

Look at the Members Map on here and start to work out the many nearby experts eg Chad who designed the Doon, Snoopy who either can or knows a man who can and so on. Paul1953 is way up north somewhere (!) but his build thread takes some beating for its clarity, insights and persistence. Dave DND is a fantastic help but he's way down south from you and heavy on the biscuits !

Come along to a monthly MBC club night (1st Thursday) listed in the events section and that will accelerate putting names to faces but expect to be driving your creation soon once you enlist the brilliant online and country wide support available.
Hugh

• Rugby
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 07:23:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Best clear some space and start looking for donor vehicles

this user is online farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 09:55:29 PM
Hi and welcome to the site, I am only just down the road from you at Claycoton. So if you have problems and need to see something in the flesh, I have two buggy's. Good luck with your build  ;-)up

Rob

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 10:26:45 PM

Great to here from you.
If you want a long trip and a soaking you are more than welcome 👍

• Rugby
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:23 AM
Thanks for the offers, may take them up when I'm stuck or just further down the line with the build.

What is the rough length and width of a chassis with axles fitted? Need to know If I can clear enough space to get one in my garage so I can  work around it.

this user is offline HUDGE BUGGY

• Buggy Meister
  • Lowestoft, Suffolk
  • GP Mk2 Super Buggy LWB
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 05:29:02 PM
LWB is the same as a beetle . 13 foot       SWB usually +/-  15 inches
WE GET OLD COS WE STOP PLAYING

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:58 PM
Hi Joe,

Initially welcome to the mad house.

Secondly a LWB Doon - great choice but then again I would say that  ;D

Thankfully there are now a fair number of buggies registered with the DVLA as LWB Doon on the log book. As a LWB this is fairly easy to do and Chris Jordan has kindly recorded the process on his Doon build page at http://www.chris-jordan.org.uk/registering-the-long-wheel-base-doon-in-2005.html

If you can find a decent donor beetle that is definitely the best way to go in my opinion as modern repo parts are poor or very expensive for good stuff Best to repair / restore original where possible.

Chad
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

• Rugby
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 08:27:11 AM
I've read that article, it was very informative and I will be using it in the future for reference points

• Rugby
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 08:29:17 AM
LWB is the same as a beetle . 13 foot       SWB usually +/-  15 inches

And the approximate width please? The garage is more than long enough not sure on the width. Having just moved a garage is a new and exciting concept  :)