Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 05:18:24 PM

Fibreglass edge repairs

This is a discussion for the topic Fibreglass edge repairs on the board Beach Buggy Body and Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Fibreglass edge repairs  (Read 298 times)

this user is offline ajp

• Beach Buggy
  • Cambridge
  • GP MK1
on: August 01, 2019, 12:45:43 PM
Going to start a couple of repairs on the GP. All simple stuff if you know what youíre doing. I donít  :D

Is there a go-to guide for repairs such as the one in my photo. Iím struggling to see how to get a smooth finish to the fibreglass on the bare edge?

Cut the whole damaged section out and then... :-\

Needs to be done in situ and iím working on the street.

Cheers,
Andy

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 03:37:48 PM
Nasty one, the warranty has run out now.  That needs the the loose stuff removing and some mat and resin to strengthen it from the back with more applied in the hole then skimming with filler.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:56:56 PM
Rather than me write a million words.. ;D... Google "boat fibreglass repairs". There are countless guides on utube etc. It was visiting local seaside boat builders back in the very early seventies that gave me the confidence to delve into this. You will need to be be brave and be prepared to grind out quite an area. It`s like most things in that the first attempt is where you learn the most. Be aware that grinding\sanding fibreglass makes one hell of a mess and if it`s windy all the neighbouring houses\cars will be covered. A MUST.... wear a face mask and watch this stuff getting in your eyes. (It will get everywhere.). Only use acetone as a solvent for cleaning surfaces, tools etc.   Have go.. you might just enjoy it   ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline Bealzebug01

• Lichfield, Staffs
  • Prowler
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:21:36 PM
Hi get yourself a 70mm x 400mm long bed sander for knocking down the filler and getting nice flat repairs in filler, one of the best tools I ever bought.
Difficult to see from pic but looks like that area has been built out of filler before, is that red gel coat I see underneath?
As per Snoopy remove anything that could fall off in the future and build up from behind first, I would use a fine steel mesh riveted under the body for a good foundation. As per Paul v out any cracks with an angle grinder. After using mat and resin, use short strand fibre glass filler for any deep repairs then, easy sand smooth filler skim over the top.
Looks like the edges of the body may have used hose pipe and then filled over the top to produce a rounded bead.
If not done before donít be shy with the filler after sanding you should end up with more on the floor than on the car a single cut file will take the filler down really quickly to get a rough shape.
A bit dated but there is a fibreglassing Haynes manual if you want some bedtime reading.
Enjoy!  Oh PS the flat sander is always best used roughly parallel with the ground but sanding in an upward/ downward fashion.

this user is offline ajp

• Beach Buggy
  • Cambridge
  • GP MK1
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:10:05 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Iíll sort myself some supplies and get to it! ;-)up