Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 10:34:39 AM

IBW 2020

This is a discussion for the topic IBW 2020 on the board Events, Cruises and Gatherings.

Author Topic: IBW 2020  (Read 761 times)

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
on: July 13, 2019, 03:00:24 PM
Hey all,

Just received this on the buggy presidents what's app page relating to IBW 2020, and they most helpfully posted it in both German and English. Thanks guys.

Hello everyone
 After a positive vote on our club night yesterday, I can now officially announce that the * IBW 2020 * will take place on Pentecost in Schleswig-Holstein.  At the buggy friends Schleswig-Holstein.  Announcement will be made in the near future.
 Greetings Lars
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 10:32:23 PM
That appears to be quite a large area, like a county. Kiel, which was initially mentioned at IBW this year. If so it's a fair old hike from Rotterdam, about 600km I think.

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 07:31:27 AM
My AA app says itís 380 miles from the Hook of Holland passing Osnabruck at the half way mark.
Hugh

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:27:26 AM
My AA app says itís 380 miles from the Hook of Holland passing Osnabruck at the half way mark.

I remember the sat nav's on that trip  ;D   

Osnabruk only half way ?  :o

For me I think it would depend on the site location when we got there (not another Industrial Estate)   :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:40:05 AM
Do able but as Dave says needs to be a good camping site.

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 11:13:35 AM
IBW 2020 Northern Germany

Some of you will have picked up on the fact that IBW 2020 has shifted to Schleswig-Holstein. For me and a couple of others that Iíve chatted to it is just too far to do in a Buggy for a long weekend so we are looking into alternatives.

One suggestion was a road trip in daily drivers which has all the obvious benefits, being able to fit more to a car, better fuel consumption, maintaining Autobahn speeds and comfort are the main ones.

The proposal is Dover to Dunkirk or Calais on either the Ferry or Euro Tunnel depending on numbers and types of vehicles, which saves a big chunk of cash and means we can make hay when we get to the other side to get some miles in.

These are very loose suggestions and we have plenty of time to hone the plan, We could for instance get an early ferry on Thursday, split the driving and make it to Wolfsburg for an overnight at the Ibis budget to do either the Autostadt or the VW museum in the morning or even both, then arrive at IBW for early Friday evening.
On the return leg 1 suggestion is to make it back to The Irish Bar in Middelkerke, Belgium where Chad, Paddy, Wobbly Bob and myself spent my Birthday a couple of years ago for an end of road trip last night.

Again depending on numbers it may even work out financially viable to hire a minibus between us.

I know IBW is mainly about the Buggies but the event is in May and is at the same Latitude as Leeds, after the weather we experienced this year I think the giggle shelter may well be needed.  Over to you? 

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 11:26:18 AM
Any more details on the actual site at Schleswig-Holstein ?  ???

I like the idea of taking in the museum etc, and all for taking the daily to get there quicker   ;-)up

But . . . I would want to ensure we were not on another German industrial estate for such an epic and expensive trip

Not sure that you are saving much though between Harwich and Dover when you factor in the extra mileage, time, fuel and an overnight somewhere?  ???
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 11:54:11 AM
When we did it as individual drivers in our Buggies but sharing accommodation it still worked out cheaper than the Hook ferry.
An Ibis Budget should work out at about £25 per person, Calais- Wolfsburg is about 130 miles longer which is about £15 each way and the ferry should be sub £100 return. Not forgetting that if you have 4 in a car you will need 2 cabins on the Hook run and the time lost dicking about doing circles while they wait for the port to open makes it less favourable in my eyes.

I'm thinking it's around the Lubeck area as one of their club mentioned it being on the coast but South of Kiel.

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:46 PM
So doing the trip in buggies is presumably off then? Not sure I want to go to a buggy event without my buggy.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 01:48:16 PM
Not sure I want to go to a buggy event without my buggy.

I`m having trouble with that one too if I`m honest  :'(
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 03:37:35 PM
We thought that may raise doubts but this year my buggy didn't leave the field once from when I got to IBW till I left and I had more laughs with like minded mates than I have for a very long time.

That was with the wife so next year I may just let my hair down.

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 08:33:59 PM
We thought that may raise doubts but this year my buggy didn't leave the field once from when I got to IBW till I left and I had more laughs with like minded mates than I have for a very long time.

Must admit I only went to the local shop in mine but I love the cruise there and back. You know I agree with you and also had more laughs this trip than I've had in years. Best holiday in a long time.
I'm in two minds. If we could find a secure stopover with safe parking, I'd be happy to go Weds to Weds if ness.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 10:52:42 PM

Must admit I only went to the local shop in mine but I love the cruise there and back. You know I agree with you and also had more laughs this trip than I've had in years. Best holiday in a long time.
I'm in two minds. If we could find a secure stopover with safe parking, I'd be happy to go Weds to Weds if ness.

I`ll throw in a suggestion then

Make it a longer trip timewise, and take in the museum etc as mentioned too - make a proper Buggy road trip / vacation from it rather than a quick blast there and back ?
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 09:51:28 AM
My thoughts.

In all honesty I'm not too fussed whether I turn up at the IBW event in my buggy or not. I have driven over 30,000 miles in my buggy since it was built, and lots more miles to drive in the future so no problem there. I have also been to club meets, shows and events in my daily driver so again no problems there either. And after the rain soaked unpleasant return journey from Harwich the last 2 years, the thought of the potential for that again, having already done 600 miles sausage side, doesn't fill me with joy.

For me the IBW is about going away with like minded boys and girls and getting away from the hum drum of normal life. Taking the buggy is a bonus, but being brutally honest is also very expensive for me. I admit I am not that flush at the minute and without Lee's support his year it is unlikely either of us would have made the trip to Holland. The problem is the over night ferry is now getting on for £300 plus and if you are a single driver in a buggy, even sharing a cabin, that could be a deal breaker for me. Especially with the fuel bill too.

With this IBW being so far away next year and the cost of the overnight ferry rising every year it makes it unviable for me. But 4 adults in a daily driver doing 50 mpg, fuel cost shared by 4, sharing a £100 return Ferry / Chunnel trip and a cheap Formula 1 stop over is far more appealing.

For me it is also a way to keep the GB buggies presence up at these far flung IBW's and still have a great weekend away. Added bonus is if the weather is crap at least we will stay dry in the daily driver  ;D

Yes its nice to take my buggy, but its certainly not a deal breaker for me. For me its about the whole IBW experience and a long weekend away with like minded fools.

If others are thinking of taking their buggies and making a longer trip then that's brilliant too. It looks like there may be two, three or even four options for people to choose from, depending on who is doing what. But as long as we get there and have a good time, that for me is what is important.

So I am happy, with Flags, to work out a daily driver, 70 -80mph cruising, cheap Dover ferry, cheap hotel option.  Call it Option 1 if you like.

If others what to work out other options and lead on that option too, that would be great. Just keep everyone posted.

Chad
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk