Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 05:20:00 PM

Big oil leak - rookie error?

This is a discussion for the topic Big oil leak - rookie error? on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Big oil leak - rookie error?  (Read 636 times)

this user is offline ajp

• Beach Buggy
  • Cambridge
  • GP MK1
on: June 29, 2019, 05:38:36 PM
Hey all,

Finally after much delay got the replacement 1600 engine in & running- to be met with an immediate oil leak!

The leak is on the left side top of the engine, at the base of the oil cooler. Rev the engine and the leak increases significantly spraying oil towards the front of the buggy- at least my oil pump is good!

Engine came without an oil cooler or mount.

I bought a 2nd hand genuine mount and a new oil cooler from machine7 with seals.

Not sure if Iíve fitted a seal wrong, neglected to tighten a nut or two or...?

It pains me to ask, but is there anything I can do in situ, or have I got to drop the motor again :-\

Hohum!
Andy

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:47:32 PM
These things happen cooler to block seals are usually square edged and red now it has beed run they may not tighten as they could have moved or deformed.
Easier with motor out and fan tin off. At least you know how the motor goes in so another try is good practise.

this user is offline ajp

• Beach Buggy
  • Cambridge
  • GP MK1
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:38:42 PM
Thanks Keith, figured the engine was coming out again - as you say, far less daunting 2nd time around ;-)up

Iíll be a black belt ninja at it soon!!

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 09:54:14 PM
That is a bit strange! If you use the right seals, they do not leak. However there are different seals, so you can fit 3 different oil coolers to the different blocks. From your description of a separate oil cooler and mount, this is for an engine set up with TP fan shroud. Has your engine got 2 oil relief valves on the bottom. If it has you just need 4 of the TP oil seals. If your engine only has one oil relief valve, i.e. originally a SP engine. It will need 2 seals of a different type to go between the block and oil cooler mount, as the oil passageways are smaller in the SP engines

Rob

this user is offline ajp

• Beach Buggy
  • Cambridge
  • GP MK1
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 03:15:30 PM
Thanks for your input Keith & Rob, much appreciated ;-)up

It was, of course, rookie error - the seals were correct and in place, I simply hadnít nipped the mount up tight enough to compress them properly.

Engine out, problem fixed, engine back in - neighbours amused! (work done on the street :D)

Thanks again...

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:42:10 AM
Well done, I am glad you are sorted ;-)up

Rob

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432