Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:55:24 PM

I need a few bits!

This is a discussion for the topic I need a few bits! on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: I need a few bits!  (Read 374 times)

this user is offline dseered

on: June 11, 2019, 05:55:10 PM
Now the buggy tub is with me I am going to start properly thinking about the build, so need loads of stuff - this project is going to involve my 7 year old as much as possible and keeping the theme of climate change (loosely) we want to 'up-cycle' as much as possible.

This is not exhaustive but will give me a start - at this stage aiming to get it on the road ASAP - trick bits will come in time.

Essentially what I need is a '64 beetle as that is the chassis I have and in the spirit of buggy - most parts would come from donor.

Front end - Steering box / column / tie bars and all that jazz - will likely go new with braking / suspension but anything goes that serviceable.

Back end: Engine, V5 lists it as a 1300 but open to most things, Prowler buggy has a cut out back end so ideally big and sexy with massive carbs, to get on the road though, most things go.

Interior: there is none but some period Beetle seats would go down a treat!

Windscreen

Silly things that people might have lying around - gear stick, fuel tank, fuel pump, wiper set up (prowler uses original beetle wiper mech etc), seatbelt / harness, little front indicators.

If you have stuff that might be useful please do let me know!

Ideally North West so I can collect but if its post-able then all good, I am based in Kendal.

There is potential that I will be travelling to Brighton for a funeral in the next couple of weeks as well so that might open things up.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:42:37 PM
1964 you need a king and link pin front axle and a short shaft 1200 gear box a complete 64 as a donor will be harder to find but would come ith another pan and V5.

this user is offline dseered

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:52:16 PM
1964 you need a king and link pin front axle and a short shaft 1200 gear box a complete 64 as a donor will be harder to find but would come ith another pan and V5.

I have 'most' of the front end, beam and king and link pins, need tie rods and steering stuff - have matched gearbox (I think).

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:46:16 PM
I would reconsider the reuse of an old tank.  Unfortunately the likelihood of leaks on an old one is high and that's not good for the environment

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:38:46 AM
Also a rebuild or serviced original steering box is far superor to the crap oriental replacements you can buy these days.

Flags on here knows a thing or 5 about rebuilding steering boxes.

The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline Hormone

• Meathop, Cumbria
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:15:16 PM
Nice to meet you and Freddie (apologies if that is not how to spell his name) at Pete's on Saturday.
I now think I have more work than I thought to put my buggy properly on the road so the race is on Woody  ;-)up
"One life, live it to the full"