Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 12:15:35 PM

Swing Axle to IRS conversion jig?

This is a discussion for the topic Swing Axle to IRS conversion jig? on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Swing Axle to IRS conversion jig?  (Read 631 times)

this user is offline ajstephens

• Greenwich, London UK
on: June 13, 2019, 11:55:07 AM
Hi

Does anyone have a Swing Axle to IRS conversion jig I could borrow / rent please??

Based in London.

Thanks in advance

Aj

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:51:13 PM
I don`t but I know Mark at Flatlands Engineering does.

• Greenwich, London UK
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:05:03 PM
He does, but doesn't want to sell / lend them to me... :(

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 03:45:34 PM
I`m pretty sure the Baja Club have one, but not sure how established a  member you need to be to borrow it - might be worth giving them a yell (facebook)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline fugglededumm

• Buggy Baron
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:47:54 PM
Yes I have the Baja club one at the moment if you would like it - not on Face book!

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:05:47 PM
Swing axle = stronger, lighter and simpler, jus' sayin' ;-)up
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Greenwich, London UK
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:46 PM

Mhmm, It suits me to leave it as it is to be honest and happy to take your recommendation, however how come weaker heavier & more complicated is considered a superior design?

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:05:41 AM

Mhmm, It suits me to leave it as it is to be honest and happy to take your recommendation, however how come weaker heavier & more complicated is considered a superior design?
[/quot]

It was only a superior design in road handling,, The weak part can be overcome by fitting 100mm c/v's but the big one and is why VW stopped fitting irs was cost and like now you can pay more for a AM code IRS box and for a drum to drum swing-box AC box,, and do they class it as a chassis mod If the dvla! or mot!! take a look at it?
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 07:17:04 AM

Swing axle system far superior to IRS.  (Note swing axle is also independent rear suspension).  You have very, very strong "axles" within the tubes on swing axle. Not so with irs. Swing axle is the preferred option for the offroad guys. See any us baja vehicle.   
In a nutshell... the irs was introduced in an effort to soften the ride at the rear and you could argue also to reduce negative camber. Mr porsche got his design right first time way back in 1936. Sadly production costs and also maintenance times\costs came into play. Front end king & link pin bullet proof not so ball joints. Yes I am a die hard fan of the swing axle - k&l systems.   ;-)up ;-)up

• Greenwich, London UK
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:13:55 AM
Thanks for your help guys, appreciated. I'll stick with the swing axle setup.

this user is offline PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 05:37:26 PM
I think that's the only time I've seen someone recommend the swing axle for offroad over the semi-trailing arms.
 As for the US, I'd say apart from the regulation-restricted cars, 95% of their bajas, rails and buggies are on trailing arms, not swing axle.
One of them mucky ones. Sorry.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 07:23:30 AM
[quote author ;Dfor the US, I'd say apart from the regulation-restricted cars, 95% of their bajas, rails and buggies are on trailing arms, not swing axle.
[/quote]

Ha ha Philip.. You have let the cat out of the bag.... You are a young guy .  ;-)up ;-)up   As you say modern technology has become the in thing over the pond. King and link pin + swing axle ruled in the buggies early days. It`s simple, it coped with the baja offroad races and it coped with the africa trip for james may.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 09:27:12 AM
I think that's the only time I've seen someone recommend the swing axle for offroad over the semi-trailing arms.
 As for the US, I'd say apart from the regulation-restricted cars, 95% of their bajas, rails and buggies are on trailing arms, not swing axle.

I was presuming the OP was just after advice for a street legal buggy, not a serious off roader coming from Grenwich as he does  :-\
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 01:33:26 PM
Maybe, but I'd certainly take issue with it being a far stronger design for off road use  - yes, it gives you stronger suspension arm, but it also pus all that force into the gearbox casing so for offroad use in the UK where you're likely in somone's big 4x4 tyre ruts, rather than US/African desert stuff, that generally means you're going to flex the gearbox casing every time a wheel shunts the side of a rut and if something big enough that it would trouble the IRS setup, then it's big enough that your swing axle is going to strip some gears.
One of them mucky ones. Sorry.