Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 03:02:19 PM

Cleaning Crud off old parts.

This is a discussion for the topic Cleaning Crud off old parts. on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: Cleaning Crud off old parts.  (Read 687 times)

this user is offline dseered

on: May 13, 2019, 10:48:55 AM
I am gathering parts for my build, old stuff is obviously very cruddy, with years of grease and road muck - is there an effective cleaner that is helpful at getting off, while being cost effective!

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • LL68, Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:37:32 PM
Cup wire brush in a 4 1/4 inch angle grinder does it for me, using the appropriate eye etc protection.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:43:46 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline pugwash

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:21:11 PM
I am gathering parts for my build, old stuff is obviously very cruddy, with years of grease and road muck - is there an effective cleaner that is helpful at getting off, while being cost effective!

Ive found the cheap spray cleaner "elbow grease" does a pretty good job . 

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:44:35 PM
Haha - cheers chaps, I remember my dad used to brush on a liquid and muck just dripped off - thinking about it, it could have been petrol?

Got a wire bush on the electric drill and its doing a decent enough job on the chassis bits, its just the oily damp cruddy front end really.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • LL68, Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:41:39 PM
Your dad will have used Gunk or Jizer degreasers, I'm sure both are still available along with other brands but like most chemicals, probably not as effective as they used to be as chemicals have been made 'safer'. Paraffin and diesel both work well but can be harsh on the skin.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:46:47 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:22 PM
Cheers @Manxdavid - ordered some Jizer, will see how I get on.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 09:40:05 PM
brush or spray the jizer on then wrap the item in a plastic bag so it soaks in rather than drying out, then wash off after a good time soaking.

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:11 PM
brush or spray the jizer on then wrap the item in a plastic bag so it soaks in rather than drying out, then wash off after a good time soaking.

Awesome, thank you!

this user is online PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 05:28:09 PM
I like Surfex HD - seems to work much better than the old stuff, as said above a lot of the old brand names have been neutered these days.
One of them mucky ones. Sorry.

this user is offline 93fxdl

• Beach Buggy
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:22 PM
Washing up liquid is good for killing grease but has salt in it, so needs to be rinsed off thoroughly. For built up crud deposits a pressure washer with a dirtblaster nozzle shifts it, smaller parts can go in the dishwasher
Ttfn Glenn

this user is offline Mickyb

• Buggy Lord
  • Worcester Park
  • GP MK2 LWB
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 10:57:34 PM
Cup wire brush in a 4 1/4 inch angle grinder does it for me, using the appropriate eye etc protection.

A word of warning I use a angle grinder and wire cup sometimes but the last time I did it jumped out of my hand and flew up in the air, It landed on my shirt and the shirt got rapped around the cup and the other end hit me in the head.

I now have a very big graze on my shoulder and a bump on my head. I consider my shelf lucky it could have been worse so please be careful especially when you are near the edge of what ever you are cleaning up.

this user is online Jaysons Dad

• Buggy Baron
  • Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
  • 1961 Beaujangles Can Am
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 06:15:36 PM

Do not do what my old boss did. He was rebuilding a BSA Thunderbolt which had been standing for years. A good friend of his, also a motorbike restorer, commented how good metal parts became after a cleaning cycle in the dishwasher. A plan was hatched with my boss paying for his wife and friend to go to the threatre. Unbeknown to her and even before the curtain had gone up on Act 1,  the petrol tank and various carburettor bits were on its first cycle (please note the word “first”). When the cycle had finished, my boss opened the door with great expectations of gleaming parts, only to find that all the contents, including the white plastic covered shelving had turned a dirty brown colour  ::) what he had not reckoned on was for the dishwasher tabs to loosen all the crud sitting in the bottom of the petrol tank :-\ Unfotunately the story did not end well, he managed another two cycles before his other half came home (to no avail) and ended up buying a complete new set of dishwasher shelving  :'( the moral of the story is, if you are going to use the dishwasher to clean car parts, pack the other half on a 7 day full board holiday to Greece, because if it does go “tits up”, you have got time to sort it out!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:20:13 PM by Jaysons Dad »
Definitions -
Understeer  - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer    - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower - How fast you hit the fence
Torque        - How far you take the fence with you

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 08:46:44 PM

We use to use trichoehlene 111, nearly 40 years ago. Banded now cos it’s cancer genie. 😩🥬🙏

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 10:01:54 PM
We used trich to clean gun parts back in the 80's, it even removed carbon but they rattled a bit the next time you fired them.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 08:23:54 AM

We use to use trichoehlene 111, nearly 40 years ago. Banded now cos it’s cancer genie. 😩🥬🙏

Naughty Paul.... "Trich" the most effective cleaner ever. It`s still available. There is a story relating to this solvent....  1st World war..... Naval war ships.... When hit by enemy shells etc and fire broke out and fire extinguishers were present they were found to be unusable... Why.... the sailors had found trich to have the power to remove stains etc from their uniforms with ease. Pinched from the extinguishers for this by unscrewing casing top\bottom... so not reaction of note when the trigger was activated...  Only the British eh ?    ;-)up ;-)up