Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 10:51:38 PM

Royal Manchester Children's Hospital 3rd August and VWNW 4th August

This is a discussion for the topic Royal Manchester Children's Hospital 3rd August and VWNW 4th August on the board I know what you did last Summer . . ..

Author Topic: Royal Manchester Children's Hospital 3rd August and VWNW 4th August  (Read 7387 times)

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
So having booked a club stand at VWNW I thought I should start a post and a couple of our favorite lists  ;D

As normal the "big beach buggy weekend" will do day 1 at the hospital and day 2 at VWNW Tatton Park http://www.vwnw.co.uk/   Currently we have 10 places on the club stand at Tatton (I have requested more) or you can enter the show http://www.vwnw.co.uk/concours/ or http://www.vwnw.co.uk/punks-and-rats/

I spoke to a few people at the weekend when we met in Southport so may have a few newbies attending.  If you have not been before the hospital is a really rewarding day where we make poorly kids smile taking them for short rides around the hospital grounds.  All very relaxed and informal.  We meet at around 11am - break for lunch for a cruise / drag run between traffic jams in the centre of Manchester then back to the hospital and then depart when ever you want (formal end being 4PM).  This is the Charity we support https://rmchcharity.org.uk/ and they will be with us on the club stand at VWNW.   The hospital site is https://mft.nhs.uk/rmch/

Unlimited on numbers for the hospital but first come first served for Tatton (and please note last year we had a few no shows at Tatton - given we dont get a large number of passes we really need to make sure they are used wisely - so dont just say yes if its a maybe !).

So the lovely lists of attendees

RMCH - 3rd August
Krug

VWNW 4th August
Krug
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:14:52 PM by Dave DND »

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Just letting everyone know that VWNW this year seem to be doing things very differently.   The show is Concours and  Punks & Rats.   Lots of people have been getting messages about being on reserved list rather than being accepted - so I am guessing its quite over subscribed.

I have already requested a bigger club stand.  I will let you know as soon as they get back to me.  By all means add names to this list but worst case we will have to fall back to 1st come first served allocation.   Since we started attending as a club that have always allocated more to us so hopefully not an issue we will have to deal with.

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
RMCH - 3rd August
Krug
Oojamaflip
John
Hugh
Allan
Vanessa
Dave C and Gail
snoopy n Vicky
Doug
Shaggy and Pam
Alison and Lawson
Andy and Sherry (in the Snorkel)

VWNW 4th August
1.Krug
2.Oojamaflip
3.John
4.Hugh
5.Allan
6.Vanessa
7.Dave C and Gail
8.snoopy n Vicky
9.Doug & grace
10.Shaggy and Pam
11.Alison and Lawson
12.Andy and Sherry (in the Snorkel)

So VWNW got back to me today and have said they will look at a bigger plot for us.  I dont have full confirmation on numbers yet but hope to get 20 and we need to keep some back for the hospital (at least 2) and of course their tent. 

Please do not ask for a slot if you are a maybe... we had this last year and turned away a couple of names and 3 maybe's did not turn up.    If you are a maybe and want to see what happens nearer the time ... that's not a problem and just start a maybe section on this post and then if we do have some spaces left we can allocate them the week before.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
 Most MBC folks have accommodation booked already in case there is a late surge, but some of us will be up on Friday for sightseeing runs out.

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Also this clip is worth a watch as its the 10 birthday of the hospital .... So 10 years since my daughter had her accident and 9 years (this year) of us being there with the buggies .... proud times :)

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Just noticed I didnt post the link to the birthday clip .... so here it is   :) :D :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=8bQDxBuLNac

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Took a phone call from VWNW last night.  As mentioned it is looking very over subscribed this year so they were double checking we wanted to numbers allocated.   I dont expect we will be able to get anymore off what they were saying.

The good news is near the main entrance they always save a plot for the VIP / Special theme - The Historic Porsche stand was there last year - well they have decided that we will get it this year given its the 10 year old celebration for the hospital.   That plot (based on what they were saying) typically get the most "foot fall" ie people looking / walking through it.  So great for exposure but remember to make sure you keep an eye on valuables etc....

For the hospital this is great news and we will have to make sure their Tent on our stand is in a very prominent position.  Angela will not be with us this year so we may need to give their staff some advice and assistance (we can discuss that at the Hospital on Saturday) and of course anyone wanting to help encouraging donations for the bucket collection will be gratefully received.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Krug . .

Are there any weblinks for donations / fundraising etc that we can add on here for those that cannot attend ?   ???
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Krug . .

Are there any weblinks for donations / fundraising etc that we can add on here for those that cannot attend ?   ???

Dave - Thanks for the prompt

This year I have been trying out Facebook as it appears to be a very easy way of fund raising and most people connected to me socially  use it.   https://www.facebook.com/donate/2255366471384584/

this user is offline mufcgaz

• Wakefield
  • 1965 gp1 1641 modified
Hi just been informed there's. A place left I went on the cruise last weekend and as some of the unlucky ones know I broke down several times  ::) I'm sorting it this week and would love to make one in at hospital and tatten park if possible

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
RMCH - 3rd August
1.Krug
2.Oojamaflip
3.John
4.Hugh
5.Allan
6.Vanessa
7.Dave C and Gail
9.snoopy n Vicky
9.Doug
10.Shaggy and Pam
11.Alison and Lawson
13.Dave and Lynn Doon
14.Mick Stephenson
15.Richard Brook
16.mufcgaz

VWNW 4th August
1.Krug
2.Oojamaflip
3.John
4.Hugh
5.Allan
6.Vanessa
7.Dave C and Gail
8.snoopy n Vicky
9.Doug & grace
10.Shaggy and Pam
11.Alison and Lawson
13.Paul and Jenny (the Kermit)
14.David Mayer
15.Dave and Lynn Doon
16.Mick Stephenson
17. Richard Brook
18. mufcgaz

Scott is still om the maybe list - hopefully we will get a few more passes

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
I also need to start a list for booking tables at the Bulls Head on the Saturday evening.   As normal they plan to look after us and have closed the kitchen to all but one party that was booked in a year ago (just a single table).

For those that have not been before the Bulls Head is my local.  Its a very old traditional pub.  Very traditional food and nothing flash - but good. Jane and Mick the owners are our best friends and Mick is certainly very special .... those who have been before will know what I mean :) Beers there are also very good and he has a good selection (and because of Mandy no has a great selection of Gin).
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thebullsheadtintwistle/

Jane does all the cooking herself - all fresh and no boil in the bag style stuff.   She works alone so the kitchen does not stay open late.   We aim to get into the pub and order food as early as possible.  I will ask her this week if she would like us to pre-order (in the past she has always said no).   So we will am for 19:30 to be sat down and ordered.   We will be on separate tables just because she physically does not have the space in her kitchen to cook for all of us in one go.  So if there are some that prefer to eat later - just tell them when ordering as it will help (but try to be on a table that all wants to eat late other wise Mick will have a melt down :) )

--------------------------------------------------------

Eating at the Bulls Head on Saturday 3rd
1. Tony and Mandy

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Another quick update

I have been in London this week and some colleagues have decided to contribute to the charity ..... So I now have 100 in my pocket to give them and my facebook charity site is now at 1039     - How good is that !!! :) :) :) :) :)    https://www.facebook.com/donate/2255366471384584/?fundraiser_source=profile_tile

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Just over a week to go - so I need to do the formal stuff as there are a few new people coming:

RMCH will be fully operational on the day of the event and hence we need to respect that.  There will be patients and families that are not happy and dealing with difficult situations.  So as much as we may be having fun just keep in mid that they may have other things on their minds.  Also the hospital tries to send as many children home as possible at weekends.  So the children who are there tend to be the most unwell.   Many will not be able to come down to the vehicles and they get the pleasure from looking at them through the windows.   So even if it seems quiet at times dont underestimate what a great job we are all doing just by being there!

The Charity team will have a drivers briefing to explain the do and donts - they are really nice but be aware the security people (3rd party) are not as nice and in the past have suffered from jobsworth syndrome and total lack of humour.

RMCH is owned and managed by 3rd parties.   So again we have to respect that especially because the hospital can get a bill if we make a big mess ie lots of oil on the paths.  That's why I bring cardboard with me (enough for everyone) and each time you stop please make sure you have some under your engine (even if it does not leak)

Permission is needed before you can take kids out.   In the past they have had stamps on hands so we could see who has been given permission.  This will be confirmed on the day.

Obvious things, no speeding on the hospital grounds especially when you are giving kids rides.

Pictures of the kids should be left to the Hospital and parents (consent is needed and the hospital can get in big trouble if we publish pic of the kids without permission).   

Stand by your vehicle when its hot - remember the kids get very excited and can run around - buggy engines and exhausts can get very hot especially when we are giving lots of relatively slow rides.  So when you stop stay by your buggy until the exhaust is cool enough to touch.

If you have not been before this may sound difficult - but its not.  We just need to observe a few things to make sure we dont fall on the wrong side of health and safety.  If we get good weather remember it can get quite busy.   Not all the kids there will be patients.  Some are likely to be brothers and sisters.  Some may even just be locals.  We try to be nice to all but patients should get priority. 

And on a more personal note - Be careful leaving anything in your buggy as the hospital can not be held responsible.  Angela has always found space where we can store things if needed.  The hospital is not in a nice part of Manchester and we will get passing interest - hopefully all good but you never know.

For Directions
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Royal+Manchester+Children's+Hospital/@53.4599731,-2.2272128,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bb18f208892c5:0x4d84c105c3be409c!8m2!3d53.4599731!4d-2.2250241

Postcode  M13 9WL

We enter from the Hathersage Road where you will see Ronald MacDonald House and of course the main entrance with the Multi Coloured pillars.

Can you plan to arrive from 10:30 onwards (there is no fixed time so dont worry if you are later (earlier is more of a problem).  I will aim to get there around 10ish to get set up etc.   At 12:30 we leave the hospital so the kids get a break and can be fed.  We attempt the Manchester City Centre Cruse which is always a mix of mayhem, madness, break downs and general fun / traffic nightmare - I plan to have a ride into Manchester at the weekend to see what roads are closed / any diversions etc and plan a route.  The drive out is 45mins to 1 hour depending on traffic.   Make sure you have some fuel.   When we get back you can leave at any point.  We formally depart at 16:00 again so the hospital can get back to normal and do the round etc.

And finally it is totally up to you if you do or do not want to do rides for the children.  Just being there is fantastic.   Some of the kids will have things like oxygen cylinders and I know we dont want to get scratches and marks ... I have done it every year and never had a problem and I am in the slightly clean and polished category (when it comes to my buggy).  So your call on the day.

Looking forward to seeing you all and this year.   For the second year we have the added bonus that a couple of the patients will be asked to judge the cars and award a best in show aka "A Paddy".   This is is just a bit of fun for the kids and more importantly to remember or great friend.

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Just read on FB that Chad / Sonya are donating the extra proceedings from the IBW/ Paddy Tee Shirts to the RMCH Charity.   Thank you so much Sonya and Chad and thank you all who donated that bit extra  ;-)up  Wear your Paddy with pride is what I say and lets take him to the hospital again along with the Paddy award we have !!