Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 09:54:34 AM

Beam buggy safety refurb.

This is a discussion for the topic Beam buggy safety refurb. on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Beam buggy safety refurb.  (Read 2053 times)

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 08:01:43 PM
It looks like the same colour as my old lwb Jas, French Blue. There were some faults on that that I filled with a little gel coat and hardener then covered with Sellotape so it'd cure. They polished out really nice.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
Well progress has been slow but I am stuck awaiting the marine paint stripper for fibreglass so I can get and mount the lights. Wiring is all in ready and waiting for the lights to be refitted.
had a look at the suspension and it has all new ball joints but somebody fitted the left lower 90 degrees out so a spare with a new joint out the shed got fitted so I need a trip to a friends press sometime to correct the spare that is now in the shed.

Dash switches relocated and now in reach of the driver.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:44 AM
Well today started well with a refund from apple pay for a coilot upgrade that stopped me doing other things so got deleted just finishing off ehen Mrs S say the patio smells of petrol so a quick rush out and the Beam is leaking all over the tarmac drive.

As the tank went in the other day I though, put 5 litres in to check for leaks and start the motor so yesterday it got fuel and it was bone dry so a result even the gauge showed fuel so happy days been out there this morning all fine then within the last hour we have lost 2.5L and pickled all the paint work in the area..

Tank looked fine and was painted reasonably well so did not do a hammer test on it but now the paint is off there is a rust seam.

attacked with a screwdriver.

may need a repaint,

replacement tank on the shopping list now. At least waiting for the lost by Hermes paint stripper I had not got the bonnet bolted on.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 03:31:58 PM
Had a little helper yesterday seems he was after the wheels. Today it got primered and a coating of Samuri finishing paint so nice and neutral and the next owner can spray any colour over the top

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 12:22:51 PM
A pair of little hands are worth their weight in gold Keith.  Really like the idea of offering a buggy in primer  ;-)up ;-)up

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 07:09:14 PM
Well got a replacement fuel tank Saturday so in and holding 5 litres of fuel, bonnet trimmed but impossible to get an even fit down the sides as the shape is wrong so will use double rubber strip in places, screen is on the correct way ( As David noticed it was facing the rear) need to secure the bonnet front and sides but all the lights work. Looks like a buggy now so seat belts, fit front seats, make a rear and it should be a runner for mot.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 08:02:21 PM
Kieth... What is the grey paint ?

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 08:31:06 AM
Ah well that is another story, found some Samurai surfacer at the kit car show guy said it brought colours out so for a quid had a tin. Sprayed the buggy with grey primer then thought use this surfacer tin says motorcycle paint for plastic heat and crack resistant this gave a grey finish with a tinge of yellow  but was patchy on one front wing as I ran out, cannot seem to buy any more ( you can in Malaysia ) looked in Halfords and nearest was a tin a wheel paint in steel so used that on the front end. Looks quite nice I reckon but easily recoloured if the new owner wants to.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 02:11:57 PM
Strange how over the decades you seem to pick up 6th sense about things you involve yourself with. Looking at the photo something just said this wasn`t any primer that I knew of.  ;D  When I picked up my body from Flatlands there was another buggy body waiting for collection where the buyer had specified grey and it looked very similar.

this user is offline Dipsy Deb

• Gwent
  • Fibrefab Rat
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 02:17:38 PM
Hi snoopy I am so jealous you made it look so easy with the rebuild. 😀 Mine has been on and off the road with various little niggles.  It must be the joy of owning a buggy because I am really loving it when I do manage to have a ride in it.  👍 Deb
🔷Dipsy Deb

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 02:52:10 PM
Do you know what Deb.... Driving around in the sun in a buggy is great. I have some terrific memories from on the sands at Crantock, (newquay) back in the early seventies. It`s weird though because you get a great deal of enjoyment from a build but by gum it can be frustrating beyond belief at times. Hope you continue to keep smiling.   ;-)up ;-)up   

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 02:33:37 PM
Just needs seats bolting in, seat belts, rear seat made and grease nipples in the front beam oh a rear view mirror then it should be mot ready

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 03:47:35 PM
Keith, I have a spare interior mirror on a glass suction cup thats sat here gathering dust if you want it?

Let me know and I`ll bring it up next week   ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 04:25:04 PM
Cheers Dave that is another tick off the list, the seat belts are also coming via IBW.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 10:52:01 AM
No update for a while but mot done and on the road, it runs sweet but struggles to pick up sometimes so after todays trip to deliver the wheel and tyres for fitting I felt the heat risers and tepid may beto warm but the down pipes was cold with condensation.
Rear tubes off and wire up the pipe it was blocked solid one end with rust. Looked at the j pipes the flanges are fitted but not drilled through into the exhaust so a 10mm drill did the job. Stiff wire and 100psi air line cleared the blocked risers.  A washer was added to one gasket to make them unequal diameter now too hot to touch after a minute

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:55:19 AM by snoopy »