Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 07:59:10 PM

Beam buggy safety refurb.

This is a discussion for the topic Beam buggy safety refurb. on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Beam buggy safety refurb.  (Read 2252 times)

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
on: April 19, 2019, 07:14:33 PM
Had to postpone Amy's beetle complete refit for a while until I can start lifting and straining again but this turned up as an easy job as the underside and running gear look good so a slow refurb.

was blue then black metal flake followed by a thick red, however the laqeur had not bonded to the black and the seller had poured boiling water on the red and it fell off in places. Tub is good but will need stripping back to blue completely to find a way forwards.

You can see why IVA and SVA came out.
Drivers seat mounting 12mm threaded rod with no washers or spreader plates to secure the plywood to the pan and 4 X 8 mm bolts with no washers to the seat.

Passenger seat had 8.8 10mm bolts although only 2 through the pan but 3 X 8mm bolts with washers.

Fuel filler hose had a 90 degree kink and the vent hose was sealed with  masking tape hidden under the dash

Full harness belts fitted and indicators on far left of speedo near 2 switches wired to make headlamp dip/main and side all on 1 fuse so unreachable for the driver when strapped in unless he was an orangutan.

And a wiring loom down each side of the pan, one the original beetle with extras the other home made.

one good part is the bare inner steering column support but this may need to go to fit indicator switch and outer column.

How not to mount harness belts just through the fribreglass and all 3 ends to one bolt.

This could be a long job due to engine lifting and straining, thinking my body is telling me to stop lifting long blocks onto and off the workbench, may need mechanical aids for any future lifts.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:27 PM
I quite like the idea of body colour you can remove with boiling water.

Have to admit that wiring looks even worse than what you removed from my MantaRay.

As for heavy lifting I recall you posting images of an apprentice who looked like she could handle herself and any large lumps in her vicinity.
Hugh

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 07:16:06 AM
I recall you posting images of an apprentice who looked like she could handle herself and any large lumps in her vicinity.

Hugh, is this the photo you meant?

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 07:47:56 AM
had to let her go as her downwards vision was poor and she could not see what she was doing on the bench when stood by it.

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:31:49 PM
Blimey Dave no I didnít have that image in mind - there was a rather charming one far more recently of Vicky in Keithís shed clearly under supervision attending to an engine block. Had I recalled this one Iíd have been far more careful with my words as I donít want a black eye or poisoned piece of Rocky Road.

If Keith is going to apply health tests such as vision to necessary requirements of buggy ownership and operation then I think a lot of us are going to Ďbe let go.í

Those pink seats are a visual health hazard.
Hugh

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:27:36 PM
apprentice did a bit today before it got to warm.

very suspect steering coupling a fully threaded bolt and normal nut not even aligned with the location slot and bolts to short for the nylock nuts, like to see 2 full turns through them. All waiting to come loose in use.

This is a neat idea a hollow tube with the clutch cable through it and adjusted by the nut on the tube.

got 2 15 ft looms out of a swb buggy with no extras fitted.

Hope fully the dodgy build photos will point others to what some builders seem to think is safe and the dangers of incorrect assembly.

floor pan is good and solid with nothing to be done and the engine ran on the fuel I put in the float chamber after changing a duff coil so happy days. Find a body seal and the apprentice can get busy lifting again.
The Beam fibreglass is nice and thick up to nearly 0.5 inch at the bottom lip

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:01:14 PM
That is proper scary.

Some of the wiring I have ripped out of buggies has been amazing. it is a wonder how they have not gone up in flames - telephone bell wire to power a fuel pump sticks in my mind.

That said the 'professional' loom supply with the Chesil speedster kit pt all lights through one 20amp fuse (but only used 5 amp wire to the side lights...) I wonder why I see so many pictures of Chesils on fire !!!!

The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 06:18:50 PM
' This is a neat idea a hollow tube with the clutch cable through it and adjusted by the nut on the tube. '

Yes this looks good but doesn't it need a second nut to lock the adjustment in place ?
Hugh

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 08:26:35 PM
' This is a neat idea a hollow tube with the clutch cable through it and adjusted by the nut on the tube. '

Yes this looks good but doesn't it need a second nut to lock the adjustment in place ?

ideally it needs a shaped nut for the fork and a smaller diameter tube but a good idea from outside the box on cable  shortening. far better already than empi grub screw ends.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 09:16:17 AM
Forgot the front axle mounting bolts 2 X  original ones fitted diagonally and 2 X 10 mm el cheapo mild steel extra long ones in the other two holes with nuts on the rear.

Nothing the matter with the threads so just fitted 2 correct ones

fitting longer bolts with nuts is fine but you need to drill the damaged threads out of the headstock tubes so they go through and tighten correctly and at least 10.9 strength not mild steel.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 04:52:28 PM
Have you thought of creating a "Wall Of Fame" on which to display the stuff you come across?    I suspect there are a lot of home builds out there with this sort of "craftsmanship".   ;D

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 04:58:44 PM
ignorance is bliss and most bits would pass mot as security is the only check not the quality of the security. In my 38 years as a vehicle examiner I have seen some horror stories even from iso certified suppliers / vehicle manufacturers as well as the repair trade.

this user is offline Jaysons Dad

• Buggy Baron
  • Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
  • 1961 Beaujangles Can Am
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 05:11:05 PM

This could be a long job due to engine lifting and straining, thinking my body is telling me to stop lifting long blocks onto and off the workbench, may need mechanical aids for any future lifts.
[/quote]

Let me know when you want to lift the engine and I and possibly Jayz will come down to help you  ;-)up
Definitions -
Understeer  - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer    - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower - How fast you hit the fence
Torque        - How far you take the fence with you

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 06:59:42 PM
Thanks for the offer but the motor seems fine it ran on a float chamber full off fuel with no smoke or noise so it will not be coming out. This is only a light weight tidy up as you can see the pan is good and has had money spent on it but not used for years.
  the body needed lifting as there was no body seal and with only 4 bolts holding it on it made engine access easier for a start up test.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 06:01:28 PM
After DC had his engine tune done I attacked the passenger body lip with 320 abropads and some 600 wet n dry to remove all the black paint residue then gave it a quick blast with 2 pack lacquer and results look favourable as there are no cracks or damage on the shell.

Before

After

Somebody has already filled the hood stud holes but not after a show wining job just a cheap usable buggy.