Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 09, 2021, 07:24:16 AM

IVA Conundrum maybe?

This is a discussion for the topic IVA Conundrum maybe? on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: IVA Conundrum maybe?  (Read 2721 times)

this user is online JonFuller

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 05:47:31 PM
Hi guys, with reference to IVA being doable, I just read through the basic IVA stuff, and wondered how one deals with the business of mudguards (wheel guards as it says in the bumf).

It looks to me like the rear facing bit of the rear arches of a regular buggy are too 'open' to fit the rules??

Jon

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 05:49:39 PM
specifically item 5 on that list

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 05:55:03 PM
Indeed and some buggyists fit mud flaps for this reason.
Hugh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:05 PM
Carl got his GP swb through by using a foam arch moulding around the wing, ultimately it depends on the examiner they have a bit of lee way if they want.

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 10:49:56 PM
Thanks guys.

So maybe it's worth building some temporary attachment for some rearward arch extensions specifically for getting through the test.

Can someone also answer for me....

I have a chassis, 1970, 1500, now shortened, complete with V5 (stating VW - 2 axle rigid - Saloon), very soon to get the body.

I obviously want to keep the age related registration, and whilst I initially thought I would just stick with the V5 as is and keep my fingers crossed, I'm now leaning towards doing the IVA, I assume from my reading, a basic IVA.

So, do I present the buggy for IVA test, as an already registered, but altered vehicle, and then request that the DVLA change the V5 to state Beach Buggy? or is it new V5 time?

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 11:21:01 PM
Once last thing, I appreciate it will need yearly MOTs, but as a 1970 reg, and IVA, would it still be tax exempt?

Jon

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 11:31:18 PM
IVA'ed would not be tax exempt for 40 years.

As for your other questions, hopefully Paul our resident IVA expert will be along to answer those.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 08:05:37 AM
My understanding (could be wrong on this one) is that IVA is essentially a new starting point for a new car.

New Reg with MOT & Tax being required. Age related plate is potentially possible, but lots more hoops to jump through to get that one.

If shortening a chassis and registering with DVLA a "new" Buggy build this side of 2009, then IVA is technically mandatory.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 02:33:20 PM
strange wording on the IVA assembled kit car would require it and get a new registration but it also covers rebuilds, imports and substantial modifications on already registered cars so you may get an age related plate or possibly keep the original you do not get a 19 or 20 plate on an import. Best ask the local test centre.

cars and mini buses under 8 seats are exempt if over 10 years old when you apply to register it.
Exemptions from vehicle approval

You do not need vehicle approval for:

heavy goods vehicles (more than 3,500kg maximum weight) over 25 years old
light goods vehicles (3,500kg maximum weight or less) over 10 years old
cars and minibuses with 8 passenger seats or less (not including the driver) over 10 years old
buses, coaches and minibuses with more than 8 passenger seats (not including the driver) built by a single manufacturer before 29 July 2010
buses, coaches and minibuses with more than 8 passenger seats (not including the driver) with different body and chassis manufacturers, made before 29 July 2011
tracked vehicles, for example a vehicle that runs on tracks rather than wheels
vehicles designed and constructed for use on construction sites, quarries, ports and airports
vehicles designed and constructed for and used by the armed services, fire and rescue forces, or used in maintaining public order
If your vehicle needs approval, you must send proof of this in when you apply to register it. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will not register your vehicle if you do not.

a typical government paperwork nightmare padded out enough to be confusing.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 05:45:07 PM
Once last thing, I appreciate it will need yearly MOTs, but as a 1970 reg, and IVA, would it still be tax exempt?

Jon

Not tax exempt. Goes to iva with current dvla registration so you need the v5c. Upon iva certification you apply to dvla with the relevent application form and ALL supporting documentation and upon approval you reveied new V5C with a Q registartion plate. No mot then needed until 3rd year. Q plate lives with buggy forever so no tax exemption applicable.

Rear wheel covering.... exactly per the diagram with wheel hub centre as point to project the forward and rearward angles. Full width of front wheels & full width of rear wheels must be covered extening to these two angles. IMPORTANT... buggies went through iva with no windscreen & no roll hoop in the past. The iva test is "as presented".  owners would then fit windscreen & rollbar post iva. BEWARE    they are wise to this and have updated their recording procedure.  Take a normal kit car as a simple example.... If no side window is fitted the question is asked... "Do you intend to fit side windows?"   You say yes it fails. You say no it passes but the question box is ticked as no intention to fit and this goes on the data base. This data base is accessible to the boys in blue and should you be "scanned" by one of them they have this detail "on screen"...

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 05:48:37 PM
My understanding (could be wrong on this one) is that IVA is essentially a new starting point for a new car.

Dave... Hope you don`t mind me pinching this line... Simply cannot put it any better.. That`s precisely what the buggy will be.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 05:50:25 PM

Dave... Hope you don`t mind me pinching this line... Simply cannot put it any better.. That`s precisely what the buggy will be.

Feel free mate   
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #27 on: June 09, 2020, 06:02:54 PM
Should you choose to iva and attend to the wheel cover section give some thought to a permanent structure...  Take a look at a motorbike rear wheel. This covering need has been resolved. Imagine a bike mudguard. Imagine chopping it to a small one. Just large enough to cover the wheel as needed.  Thats all the bike has and is fully compliant.

An idea only for the rear..... The "mudguard" needs supporting.   This can easily be attached using tube lengths or a custom made plate bracket or both cut to allow two 12mm holes to be prepared to attach to 2 of the three existing bolts that secure   the existing swing plate to the axle tube. This guard will then rise and fall with the axle remaining at all times in the correct position and you have nothing scrd\glued to the tub. 

This is what I have and painted black it is surprisingly unobtrusive.   Two points...... One don`t use aluminium... Have done this in the past on other kit cars. It simply fractures after use. (Must be something about aluminiums structure). Secondly if you use tube it has a tendency to wobble about so it`s trial and error for shape and diameter plus fixing. (You can secure anything just about to fibreglass\metal etc as long as you use a solvent to wipe any natural greases away and use a polymer adhesive like tiger seal etc... just get it right because once cured you will need a hammer and chisel to part things   ;D).   

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 09:58:55 PM
people seem to ignore the pass certificate and alter the car after the pass but the certificate should stay with the car forever and if found to be non compliant in the future the V5 can be revoked, I have never heard of it happening but it must be a possibility.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 08:13:58 AM
I also have never heard of a v5 being revoked and I do not know what recourse the boys in blue have should a "scanned" number plate give up details of say for example a home build going through iva without windscreen but having one fitted post iva.