Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 09, 2021, 06:51:35 AM

IVA Conundrum maybe?

This is a discussion for the topic IVA Conundrum maybe? on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: IVA Conundrum maybe?  (Read 2720 times)

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
on: February 05, 2019, 05:55:29 PM
Okay, a conundrum maybe?

SWB Buggy on eBay seems to be correctly registered, an older build (not sure how old) being advertised as tax exempt (sure), MOT exempt (possibly depending on when first converted) but the seller states the chassis was professionally shortened so presumably replaced in 2011. According to DfT this would be okay for MOT exemption if a like-for-like replacement but if an older (ie not new/unstamped) chassis I'm presuming that the official line would be reconstructed vehicle/IVA test and Q reg?

Asking for a friend  ;D
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:40:00 PM
Dead easy -

If the Chassis has been replaced or undergone any major welding work within the last 30 years (and yes, that would include floorpan replacement) then it would no longer be classed as MOT exempt as you are replacing structural panels. The whole question of reconstructed classic would not come into question here as we are talking about repairs and NOT about re-registrations.

Claim your free tax and MOT it.  ;-)up

Next . . . . .     :-)Geek
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:19:08 PM
Again, DfT say chassis replacement is okay re MOT exemption even if you recon DVLA say no... what are the chances of getting Trigger's Broom/Washington's Axe as on official vehicle description?

From gov.uk  :

"Chassis

Chassis replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered to be a substantial change"

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:35:32 PM
Don`t make the Rookie mistake in thinking that our cars with "reluctantly agreed and shortened chassis" are under the same rules as the normal length Classic car chassis that the gov websites are referring to. I`ve spent a lot of time with exactly that argument and it is very well documented (even if not yet publicised).

Unless you can prove that any replacement structural panels are VAG Originals, (not aftermarket ones) then the whole Triggers Broom concept just cannot be put into play. I used that example in my arguments with VOSA too and the reply was the same.

Now stop stirring, and just MOT it  ::)  :P  ;D
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:37 PM
Remember

"Chassis
Chassis replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered to be a substantial change"

That negates your whole argument as a "replacement pattern as the original" would be the full length one it was born with. We have a special exemption for shortened chassis that have been done with Manufacturer approval according to their guidelines, and if you deviate away from those guidelines by use of Non-VAG parts that are then also modified to fit, then you no longer qualify for exemption.

8)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 08:13:59 AM
Now stop stirring, and just MOT it  ::)  :P  ;D

Not mine mate, just another car advertised on eBay as mot  exempt when it ain't!   8)

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:43:19 AM
Not mine mate, just another car advertised on eBay as mot  exempt when it ain't!   8)

I know, I`m seeing loads on there advertised as MOT exempt which is going to be a problem for some people. If you are caught with defects on your car, its often a huge fine and a slap on the wrists, but if you get caught driving with no MOT, then they will just seize the car and ultimately crush it.

I have it on good authority from the Police training college up the road that they will actually be targeting cars that are claimed to be MOT exempt and looking for faults at the roadside. Thats another reason to get ours tested as it will not flag up on the ANPR systems.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:54:21 AM
There must be a load of SWB buggies built since 1998 that have not had an SVA/IVA so having a valid MOT is one less reason for a pull and look over by the authorities where they might notice the fact and pull the V5.
AN MOT on any highly modded classic car is a good idea in my opinion just to reduce the chance of a spot check.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:19 AM
I have it on good authority from the Police training college up the road that they will actually be targeting cars that are claimed to be MOT exempt and looking for faults at the roadside. Thats another reason to get ours tested as it will not flag up on the ANPR systems.

Generally, I can go for days without seeing a pre '78 vehicle on the road but if they were to target say the great unwashed  slammed camper van brigade on their way into Bug Jam it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel!

I'd better evict the spiders from my windscreen washer bottle! 8)

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:58:24 AM
Generally, I can go for days without seeing a pre '78 vehicle on the road

I thought it was all horse and cart where you were anyway  ???   None of that new fangled internal combustion stuff  :P

;D
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 10:00:06 AM
but if they were to target say the great unwashed  slammed camper van brigade on their way into Bug Jam it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel!

I fear you may be correct on that one   :'(
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 10:03:47 AM
Generally, I can go for days without seeing a pre '78 vehicle on the road

I thought it was all horse and cart where you were anyway  ???   None of that new fangled internal combustion stuff  :P

;D

Nope, 50%+ Anglesey vehicles are either red ex Post Office Vauxhall Combos, or battered old Land Rover Discoveries, all running on red diesel aka Cherry B no doubt!

Oh, and little grey Fergie tractors of course.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:05:50 AM by Manxdavid »

this user is offline PUCKSTOPPER

• Hull
Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 05:06:14 PM
If anybody thought getting their Buggy through the dreaded IVA test was going to be near impossible have a look at the worlds fastest shed which has been through the IVA test, I was speaking to the owner at the Main Event at Santa Pod at the weekend, if he can get that passed a Buggy should be a walk in the park

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 05:42:38 PM
Think the shed did the IVA in easier times but if you built your buggy in a shed with no floor you could test it with the shed attached then remove it to reveal the buggy ;D

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 06:13:28 PM
At least the Buggy wouldn`t need Planning Permission for parking it    ;D
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk