Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 05:47:36 AM

Flatlands Fuel Tank or DIY?

This is a discussion for the topic Flatlands Fuel Tank or DIY? on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: Flatlands Fuel Tank or DIY?  (Read 482 times)

this user is offline BugDream

• Beach Buggy
  • Chichester, West Sussex
  • Sidewinder
    • BugDreams Build Blog
on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:26 AM
Hi All,

I called flatlands the other day to talk about one of their fuel tanks but Mark was suggesting I save some dosh and sort it myself.

I have a sidewinder shell with opening bonnet and plan to have the filler out of sight under the bonnet on drivers side. Opening bonnet has the extra divets for mounting headlights.

What's peoples thoughts? Should I just go with this https://www.vwheritage.com/113201075ad-fuel-tank-vw-spare style tank and adjust it myself? Seems like most available tanks need adjusting to suit rhd columns anyway. If I go this route, can it be done without any cutting or welding on the tank?

Grateful for any thoughts or encouragement.

Cheers, Sam
It all began in September 2008...

Slow progress...

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • LL68, Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:59:28 PM
If you can find a right angled piece of hose to fit the tank inlet driver's side rear you could probably sneak a filler cap under there. You may have to 'modify' the from corners with a mallet for bonnet clearance but that's common on all Manx type buggies.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"If an engine needs a turbo, a blower or nitrous then it wasn't built right in the first place" anon.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 05:33:19 PM
There was a fim on FB offering one off custom tanks built to your design or Allan on here has a contact in birmingham who makes ally tanks to your design. Chimp made a cardboard and tape pattern tank in his buggy then gave it to the firm to make one out out of aluminium, perfect fit and decent capacity with a sensible price.

this user is offline BugDream

• Beach Buggy
  • Chichester, West Sussex
  • Sidewinder
    • BugDreams Build Blog
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 05:43:48 PM
Hi Snoopy,

I've been down the custom tank idea in the past but couldn't justify the price. I'd be happy with an adjusted beetle tank to get me on the road. Just want to be confident about making the adjustments myself if I'm going to give it a go.

Sam
It all began in September 2008...

Slow progress...

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • LL68, Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 06:16:28 PM
Hi Snoopy,

I've been down the custom tank idea in the past but couldn't justify the price. I'd be happy with an adjusted beetle tank to get me on the road. Just want to be confident about making the adjustments myself if I'm going to give it a go.

Sam

If you wanted any mods done any engineering or radiator place could cap and move the tank inlet / filler neck and relieve the corners if you're buying a new tank, I doubt you'd find anyone who'd weld a tank that's had fuel in. I find brazing gives a better seal and is more forgiving than welding on thin metal tanks.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"If an engine needs a turbo, a blower or nitrous then it wasn't built right in the first place" anon.