Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:17:56 PM

Build yes or no

This is a discussion for the topic Build yes or no on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: Build yes or no  (Read 1619 times)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 10:29:20 PM
looking at the history as Q was never used as an every day letter, the first use was for temporary imports years ago then stopped until 1982 where it was given to unknown origin vehicles, kits or modified.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:22 AM
I have a 1972 floorpan I was going to build a short wheel base buggy but I’ve heard of the IVA sounds impossible to pass. Or should I build a long wheel base that I guess I can just get MOT and update the V5 or do I go down the Q plate route. I’d really like a short wheel base buggy, any advice would be appreciated

Jerry... A quick word to answer your question simply.... IVA.....

Not at all impossible but the 2 updates from 2016 & 2018 resulted in a much more dedicated inspection by the vosa examiners. It would be foolish to try to get an iva pass by "cheating the system" as many have done in the past. It was just a matter of time before the powers to be would respond to that and they have.

So... should you go down the iva route?   Only if you are prepared to do your homework and religoulsy work to compliance. To do this you need to have certain skills or access to them. These being an ability to weld well or access to someone who can. The abilty to do some fabrication or access to someone who can. The ability to understand auto wiring or access to someone who can. (This includes the specific fog light control and lucas wiring for 2 speed motors).

There is a cost involved of course for all I have mentioned. In addition you will need to transport the buggy to a public weighbridge to obtain corner & total weights. You will need to transport the buggy to your nearest Vosa test centre. (Test takes between 4 to 5 hours). Costs have come down to about £250 I think now for the test. It is rare to pass first time. Then the cost of a second visit after you have complied with failure requirements. (If you can get it back within 5 days.. no cost. If not you have 6 months to return for a reduced fee).

That`s all I am going to say ,,,, Think this should help you decide & above all .. Good luck whatever you do.  Paul

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:15 AM
I was in favour of SVA/IVA when it came out but the way that I see that it's evolved over the years it's become a total nonsense to be avoided at all costs if possible. It seems much more aimed at the small volume constructor that can include their whims and fantasies into their products at the design phase, rather than at the amateur builder these days.

That's just my two cent's worth though!
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 01:55:24 PM
That`s a fair comment Dave and believe me when I say I have wondered many times now why I took this route. The M1 manual is long and just a small section towards the end is "basic iva" specific. The majority of it is based around something similar to a "production run.

There are now many people going through IVA but these are "pro" manufactured "kits" with tested tubular frames and so on. You know the type, Marlin, Westfield, Cobra replicas etc. It is a shame that a basic "beach buggy" just doesn`t lend itself to iva. (Guess this was the challenge to me but somehow, even with retirement, it is time I seem to be struggling with). There has to be a lot to say for picking up a basket case and getting it back on the road in a weekend or two.