Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2019, 05:08:06 AM

Buggy rebuild started at last

This is a discussion for the topic Buggy rebuild started at last on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Buggy rebuild started at last  (Read 2447 times)

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 12:06:58 AM
Ingenious lifting to get it painted!

You gonna shoot some greasy oiley goodies down the tunnel while its like that to rust proof the innards?
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline JohnnyV

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 12:56:13 PM
Yep,

Once i get the top floor pans painted i will get that done as well ..... Did notice a flake or two when I opened up the rear linkage inspection plate .....may need to use the Hoover first  :)

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:36 PM
Build progressing well and taking up plenty of time over the weekends. Buggy back horizontal and front and rear drum brakes rebuilt just awaiting hoses. Tie rods on order although fixed short rod will only have boots replaced.
Put tub back on to check fit and existing holes all line up again ...... Just a few new ones to drill in new box sections.

Top floor pans sealed, primed and painted in silver as a top coat.

Waiting on some parts so will clean up some of the tin ware and carry on with some of the smaller items.

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 10:07:30 PM
Cleaned up the tinware with a fresh coat of paint .... Will save up my pocket money for the full chrome treatment later. The engine back on to check for fit and shorten the rear tow/guard before this gets painted. The chasis back on 4 wheels but still work to do on the brake pipes and pedal assembley. Not attempting any real upgrades ... Just putting back as it was built. Body work in really good condition, infact I am surprised how tough the original finish is as we are preping some of the minor blemishes.

Still thinking of final body colour .....I am liking a metallic green at the moment so may get a test panel done.

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 04:30:49 PM
Still thinking of final body colour .....I am liking a metallic green at the moment so may get a test panel done.

One of my favourite colours is the Mazda Spirited Green Metallic, the paint code is 36A.  There's a lot of coats involved in getting laid down.

APS Hull on eBay do a lovely colour called Hulk Green Metallic Pearl. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=Hulk+Green&_ssn=dickieaps&_nkw=Hulk+Green

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:13 PM
Thanks Roadrunner that's a great colour and pretty close i think to what I am looking for. I have a local paint supplier that I bought paint from last year so will have a chat to them and get sample   ;-)up

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 02:47:06 PM
I have a few days off this week so thought it was about time I updated my buggy rebuilt. Had a few week ends off the build then spent most of the time preparing the body. Even though an old body it is in great condition and only minor cosmetic work was required to fix the odd scratch and scrape. Once I was happy with everything got the body primed up ready for the colour.

Now this is when I found out the grey primer wouldn't be any good as a base for the green I had first thought of - a white base is needed for the best effect. Now why I didn't of that at the start I do not know - I have used lighter primers before on the limited resprays I have done on wheels and body panels especially when using metallics.

Well I prepped the primer up and resprayed in white .... and the funny thing was I quite liked what I saw... the body was clean and sharp. After a few days deliberation the bodywork was again prepped and a diamond white finish applied. Will I regret not picking a bolder choice of colour ? does this kind of car deserve to be noticed ?  lets wait for the end result. there's always the Herbie Decals  ;D ;D just joking honest

The body rolled out and finished the last of the copper brake pipe renewal and put back the main fuel lines. The pedal assembly took a little more time as the end of the assembly that fits into the floor mounted bracket got damaged when taken apart so had to source some new bits - actually ended up buying a complete second hand pedal assembly from ebay -- but at 12 it was a bargain.

Bit of a dry run to see if thing go back together in the same place at the moment and referring to the many photos I took when taking apart.

Body fit is good so hopefully should be able to fix back properly fairly soon but still want to make sure the steering column and fuel tank fits without hindrance first.

this user is online Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 03:08:01 PM
Looking good.  ;-)up

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 07:23:35 PM
I've been reading all the great stories and advise so thought I would give an update of my buggy story.

It's been a while with some delays on parts and fabrication and some electrical gremlins. Engine up and running again although needed to change the distributor as the centrifugal spring was mangled up in the mechanism somehow and the carb was refusing to run smoothly so changed that too although I think a proper clean and rebuild and the 34 pict 3 would be good to go again - just went for a quick fix really.

Here she is so far. So close to being finished, just a few issues. Found one of the headlight not working although all was good a few weeks ago. Brakes lights not working so a full check of that circuit now needs doing - just replaced the switch when changing the master cylinder... The recent talk about bleeding the brake system came in very handy to get a solid brake pedal.
Clutch working perfect but gear selection not working correctly I don't  think enough care when reinstalled .

I'm sure I will find more to do before the mot but it's getting close to the big day.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:13 PM
Looking good mate   ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 07:20:40 PM
Unfortunately not yet on the road :(  Bit of a disaster with the clutch last weekend.  The gear selection was a bit off on a test drive..... when I went from 1st and tried 2nd it made a grinding sound as if trying to go into reverse? On inspection no bush in the linkage support so took out the linkage and put a new bush and rear coupling. This tightened up the selection but on my next test drive it felt like the clutch cable had snapped just as I started. When I inspected I found that the clutch shaft had broken off on one of the lugs that support the bearing. Not sure why this would happen unless just metal fatigue and just happened.?

Ordered up a new shaft and clutch assembly - might as well change everything now the engine is out as the clutch plate is showing some ware. And I suppose practicing engine removal isn't all bad. On the plus side I have to fix the leak from the rear drive shaft boot - so access is much easier now - just unfortunate its the one I changed in the first place. I think the rubber is not sitting right so will have to undo clean up and refit.
Hopefully parts will start arriving soon so can get the buggy up and running again.  ;-)up

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 07:46:22 PM
A broken clutch release arm is not unusual they made the later post 72 set up a lot stronger then your early version but it is nearing at least 50 years old, A new set up and a clutch means you can leave the motor in after this.

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 08:52:25 PM
Thanks snoopy that reassuring in some ways.... Better to have it happen now before I get motoring properly.
Quick question though.... How important is the clutch stop that fixes to the pedal. I seem to of lost mine for the moment, it was the type that clamps to the pedal with a rubber insert. I was thinking of making one up as I can not and to find one to buy.

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 09:23:41 PM
Looking good, I have a 4 polnt cage for a swb Volksrod if you are interested.

• Bristol
  • Volksrod MK6
Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 10:27:27 PM
Sound interesting, can you send some details over.