Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2018, 08:12:02 PM

My new Kyote

This is a discussion for the topic My new Kyote on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: My new Kyote  (Read 364 times)

this user is online HughBug

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 04:34:31 PM
the speedo drive cap goes onto the hub behind the wheel so needs the wheel off. there is an e clip goes onto the cable once it is through the cap.
Unfortunately the cable is pushed out too far through the hub, and I can't get the drive cap to reach and locate in said hub when connected to the cable end. If that makes sense  8)
I'm working on another solution ;)

Tyre pressures adjusted - fronts were way too high, rears too low. Bouncing a little less now at 20psi front and 25psi rear. I even had the bottle to take her up to 60 today :D

Cheers :)

Hugh the 2nd
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........warning - this user has very little knowledge 😊

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 05:12:48 PM
Just pull the cable through from the otherside, it should have 1 of these on the inner side to keep it in place and stop water tracking down the cable into the hub and back up into the speedo.

On a very wet journey back from IBW a couple of us had speedos reading in Knots there was so much water in them.

https://www.vwheritage.com/111957855b-speedometer-cable-seal-through-wheel-hub-vw-spare

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 05:15:01 PM
Just pull the cable through from the otherside, it should have 1 of these on the inner side to keep it in place and stop water tracking down the cable into the hub and back up into the speedo.

On a very wet journey back from IBW a couple of us had speedos reading in Knots there was so much water in them.

https://www.vwheritage.com/111957855b-speedometer-cable-seal-through-wheel-hub-vw-spare
Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow √

Hugh the 2nd
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........warning - this user has very little knowledge 😊

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 05:16:26 PM
Ooh, Christmas smileys :D

Hugh the 2nd

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 03:47:05 PM
Thanks Flags and Snoopy, speedo is now working and odo clicking over woohoo  ;D
It was actually the cable seal gromit that was holding the cable stiffly in place.

However as expected the speedo is fairly inaccurate against my GPS, and in fact is reading too low.
At an indicated 30 I was doing 33, indicated 36 I was doing 40, and indicated 45 I was travelling at 50mph by GPS.
Something like that anyway ;)

Hugh the 2nd

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 03:57:40 PM
Good news there then and the over size tyres do make the speedo slow so good to know how far it is out so you can drive on the shown speed and not get a ticket.

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 04:08:46 PM
Thank you yes, but I had somehow calculated the speedo would be reading too high.
I'm keeping my GPS speedo for the time being.

Hugh the 2nd

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 09:38:06 PM
I'm going to put some white paint marks around the speedo at correct 30, 40, 50 and 60mph points.

Hugh the 2nd

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #23 on: Today at 07:59:28 AM
There is a point to remember when trying to establish markings on any beetle speedo, or other mechanical version, and if you are using GPS as a guide.  GPS generically reads 3 to 4mph low. (This due the signaling delay).  The most accurate way I have found to check for error is by driving steadily behind another car and have a passenger maintain contact to let you know when you are doing 30 etc.

The GPS lag is why a gps system cannot be fitted by manufacturers from new nor is it acceptable to iva examiners.   ;) ;)

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #24 on: Today at 08:15:37 AM
Thanks for that, good point.

I've been trying to maintain each test speed for a while to overcome GPS lag but there's a 40mph flashing sign a few miles away to me that I can test my speed on and maybe adjust my findings as necessary. It goes off at 41-42 mph on all my other vehicles.

Hugh the 2nd

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #25 on: Today at 08:41:32 AM
Production car speedometers display a faster speed than actual speed same as their outside temperature reads slightly colder to avoid litigation as my car said it was safe. You just need a near e ough figure the paint dots will be fine at the right angle but will show different from the passenger side but you could reposition the needle on it's shaft to give a accurate reading mid range at 40 mph.

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Reply #26 on: Today at 12:08:03 PM
I printed a dial outer on a laminate slide and stuck that on. Worked ok. Now have right size wheels on the front with GPS as a backup

Strangely seeing all the other comments both our car's Speedos read low compared to roadside Signs and both our GPS units , both GPS read exactly what roadside signs say   We see an occasional roadside sign that is 1mph different but that is just the switchover point.

74 on my Qashqai is 70 on GPS,  33=30 etc.
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #27 on: Today at 05:54:20 PM
I printed a dial outer on a laminate slide and stuck that on. Worked ok. Now have right size wheels on the front with GPS as a backup

Strangely seeing all the other comments both our car's Speedos read low compared to roadside Signs and both our GPS units , both GPS read exactly what roadside signs say   We see an occasional roadside sign that is 1mph different but that is just the switchover point.

74 on my Qashqai is 70 on GPS,  33=30 etc.

They are keeping you safe from speeding tickets travelling at an indicated 70 (GPS 67) those are about the same figures for the tiguan so fixed cameras and average speed sections are passed through on the GPS speeds not speedo ones and still safe.
 They will not allow GPS only because of tunnels and signal black spots in very tall built up areas

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Reply #28 on: Today at 06:01:05 PM
Understand that Snoops, just that previous posts suggest GPS read low which would make my car so way out as my GPS is always bang on the roadside indicators and lower than my car says
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #29 on: Today at 06:53:53 PM
My take on this is that so long as you have a good signal, GPS is the most accurate. Lag will only come in if you are constantly changing speed or going through an area shielded from the satellites.
Apparently also if you are going uphill GPS may read slower because you are not making so much progress across the planet as you would be on the flat.

Hugh the 2nd