Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 06:34:28 PM

Type 1 & Exhaust

This is a discussion for the topic Type 1 & Exhaust on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Type 1 & Exhaust  (Read 1341 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
on: October 12, 2018, 01:02:42 PM
Having put myself into the position of needing iva compliance re-buggy exhaust and after googlin\ebaying etc I need help.

Have the TUV\Emarked cans, (Polished stainless)..... Inlet is 2". Hoping I can pull in a favour with a local tig welder. Standard Beetle exhaust pipes are 38mm.  So for each side I will have two 38mm pipes, one from each side of the head, that need to mate up with the 50mm can inlet at fan side of engine but with not a great deal of space either backover to the tub or from the head outlet level up to cans. I cannot find a two into one collector where the two is 38mm & the one is 50mm. Is it the most practical to merge the two 38mm pipes on the vertical rise. Is there sufficient height between what would be a top and bottom 90o bend or is the way forward to bring both 38mm pipes up over and bend at 90o towards the can and somehow merge them at the 50mm inlet. If any of you have done this on your buggy any photo of how you merged two into one would be a great help.

(I also have the restriction of a rear cage but that is of secodary importance at the moment).

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:36:06 PM
Suggest to contact the (not so) resident exhaust guru, Mike Hausmann

https://vintagevolkshaus.webs.com/
Tel:  01280 851261
Mob: 07901 847569

He is actually one of the moderators on here, but doesn`t get on here much due to him branching out on his own business

Top bloke though - mention the Buggy forum and tell him I sent you    ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:15:23 PM
Dave.... is this the legendary "Mike The Pipe" ?

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:03:04 PM
Dave.... is this the legendary "Mike The Pipe" ?

No, he is known as Beelzedub

But if you are of a certain age and referring to the legendary 70's Hot Rodder, then no - that is someone else completely
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:41:54 PM
Old age Dave and far too few brain cells left. Realised after the query I was thinking of Mike Randall.....  ;D ;D

this user is offline BEELZEDUB

• Buggy Lord
  • northants
  • Vulture???????
    • vintage volkshaus custom exhausts
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:03:38 AM
As Dave said I'm not on here very often as I started working for myself and dedicate a lot of time to designing and building a range of exhausts suitable for all different air-cooled models including Buggys.

I'm on Instagram and Facebook as Vintage Volkshaus and i can be contacted more easily there.

P.S thanks for the traffic Dave and glad to see the forum is still very strong and not moved 100% to facebook

Mike

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 02:05:36 PM
Hi Mike... Followed Dave`s post by visiting your website. I am currently in the process of constructing what I hope to be a temporary exhaust system that will satisfy IVA inspection requirements. These are simply good construction techniques with good welding. 99db max and EU compiance of silencer cans. (ie E marked etc or compliance certification).

What I will end up with is a hotch potch of welded parts leading to two compliant motor bike cans. The tig welding will be done by a friend but our issue is an inability to bend stainless pipe. (This has been a real learning curve as I didn`t realise the difficulty in bending stainless pipe correctly).

The db bit is not as straight forward as I thought it would be. There is a deal of noise from a aircooled engine hanging at the end of a buggy all affecting the amount of noise detectable at the specified distance from can outlet.

Hopefully, when I know that I have a compliant system and can take the trip to see you, we can come up with something that doesn`t have a multitude of tig welds. On a last note good luck with your business the photo`s are impressive.   ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline BEELZEDUB

• Buggy Lord
  • northants
  • Vulture???????
    • vintage volkshaus custom exhausts
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words Paul, I see this issue all the time with VW's and Porsches both being rear engined and having alot of mecanical noise and induction noise to add along with the exhaust note. How is it measured with IVA? in motorsport static testing is 500mm from tailpipe and at 45 degs and 3/4 max rpm.

i have built cheater systems for people where the tailpipe heads back towards the front of the rear wheels. This moves you away from the rear of the car when testing. is that a possibility with your IVA.

if you would like to have a chat about it give me a call or contact me via social media.

regards
Mike

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:54:50 PM
This is interesting Mike..... Same method of testing with IVA....  The DVSA examiners are really helpful not minding how many times you call them for advice. I have never come across a "cheater system" before. I will ask the question and see what the response is. Regards Paul..

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 04:18:01 PM
only cheating exhaust I have come across was one of these hidden above a belly plate but hard to hide on a air cooled rear engine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202018041153?chn=ps

Interesting a turned tail pipe can be used to over come noise regulation testing.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 02:51:33 PM
Hi Keith... It`s a weird world alright. FIA compliance is, in general, ultra strict, and in SVA\IVA early days anything accepted by FIA was acceptable for DVSA, (SVA  at the time). Over the last couple of years I have trawled the "home bulit car forums and have spoken to many builders as I looked for guidance over and above that in the M1 book. You will not see anything in writing from the beurocrats but it is now accepted in the DVSA world that the revisions to the IVA testing have been driven to a good extent by the forum contents re- cheating the system. Apart from the well known aspect of leaving roll hoops, cages and windscreens off for inspection and adding them later there have been many other examples. I had to laugh to find out that often a builder would create a dashboard to iva spec then after a pass ditch it completely and fit his own design all in order to have gauges, switches of the type & in the postion he wanted. One of the reasons I am taking quite a time to complete my buggy is to attempt solutions that will leave my buggy looking as close to an original one as possible. If I had the skills, and owned a fully kitted machine shop it would be a simple task.  ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 06:09:58 PM
It is no wonder owners made the car SVA compliant and the rebuilt to what they wanted a old 50's 365 replica or cobra with modern safety parts did not look right. However I was under the assumption in the rules somewhere when you had a pass the certificate and documentation had to stay with the cars present owner and if you got pulled for a roadside check it had to be the same as what passed and not modified after or this would void the certificate.
People change post 1988 type approved cars in the UK and get away with it si why shouldn't kit car owners.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 03:21:42 PM
Yes.... It is as simple as "Pass" from SVA, & now IVA  is "as presented" and any change "post examination and pass" voids the cars legality. Daft enough to do this, even dafter to say so in writing on a forum. The "powers to be" are wise to this now and should the "boys in blue" have cause to "look up" a home built vehicles registration the IVA details are there for them to see. (Or not if the vehicle is on the road without the inspection).