Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 10:49:01 PM

Missing pushrods

This is a discussion for the topic Missing pushrods on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Missing pushrods  (Read 615 times)

this user is offline Ade944

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
on: July 23, 2018, 09:43:15 PM
Does anyone know if temporarily running my type 1 engine with the pushrods in cylinder 3 then in cylinder 4 removed would damage the engine?

Obviously the valves would be closed but I want to check if I have a damaged cam or follower as something is making a constant tapping noise

Ive adjusted the valves over and over to no avail

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:51:06 PM by Ade944 »

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:07:13 PM
Hiya, you said the engine still made the noise with the push rods removed when you turned it over by hand!! when you do this the camshaft will push the lifters out of the way so you will not get any noise from them. So really the noise has to come from something else

Rob

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:26:32 PM
Is this the buggy that had the new exhaust? If so my bet's on something fell down one of the exhaust ports while the old one was off and is either jamming a valve or is stuck between the piston and the cylinder head. Did you account for all the nuts and washers? If I've got the wrong car just ignore me!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:45:27 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 08:17:08 AM
Best drop the head off and get your hands and eyes on the internals.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:48:50 AM
Best drop the head off and get your hands and eyes on the internals.

Sometimes you've just got to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in!
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:03 AM
I told him from the start that it sounds like the piston is hitting the head for some reason, possibly a screw stuck in the top of the piston but he seems reluctant to take the head off ;) ;)

Rob

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:33:02 PM
I told him from the start that it sounds like the piston is hitting the head for some reason, possibly a screw stuck in the top of the piston but he seems reluctant to take the head off ;) ;)

Rob

Hi Rob. I will take the head off but I have no garage at the moment. Got builders here building a new one. I just wanted to eliminate any valve problems for now

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:47:44 PM
On most buggy's there is just enough room to lift the fan shroud enough to get the head tins off, so you can remove the heads, you need about an inch if memory serves me right. It does of cause make it harder if you have the thermostat and the flaps connected :'( Your noise could of cause be other things but you will not know till you start stripping it. If someone has put an after market camshaft in it, a bolt may have come loose on the cam gear wheel and is catching on the engine case. If the oil pump is removed this can be checked without stripping much down. However if someone did not clearance these bolts, they could be to long and fowling on the engine case but you can not check this without a total engine strip.

I would say get the head off on the offending side and see if there is any signs of piston-head contact. If not then using washers and spacers eg a bit of pipe; just loosely use these to hold the cylinders down while you turn the engine over. If you turn the engine over so the piston is going DOWN!! if you then press the piston down; you will feel slack if there is play in the big or little end bearings ;-)up

Hope this helps, Rob

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 06:05:39 PM
Interesting Rob re removal of top tins, that is what I have always done, unstrapped alternator and lifted the fan housing, swear a lot and the top tins do come off.  Almost impossible with engine fitted.
BUT this time I managed to get them off and refitted without lifting the fan housing and with a bit less swearing, did have to flex them a bit.

Back to the original issue, all I will add is that if there is something in there keep spinning it over is just doing more damage - get them heads off
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:21 PM
On most buggy's there is just enough room to lift the fan shroud enough to get the head tins off, so you can remove the heads, you need about an inch if memory serves me right. It does of cause make it harder if you have the thermostat and the flaps connected :'( Your noise could of cause be other things but you will not know till you start stripping it. If someone has put an after market camshaft in it, a bolt may have come loose on the cam gear wheel and is catching on the engine case. If the oil pump is removed this can be checked without stripping much down. However if someone did not clearance these bolts, they could be to long and fowling on the engine case but you can not check this without a total engine strip.

I would say get the head off on the offending side and see if there is any signs of piston-head contact. If not then using washers and spacers eg a bit of pipe; just loosely use these to hold the cylinders down while you turn the engine over. If you turn the engine over so the piston is going DOWN!! if you then press the piston down; you will feel slack if there is play in the big or little end bearings ;-)up

Hope this helps, Rob

Hope this helps, Rob

Thanks Rob

Some really good suggestions there

I really think it's a valve or pushrod problem as the noise is definitely coming from the left hand rocker cover area.

Sounds like a hammering sound in there

What I want to know is would there be any engine damage if I run it briefly with the pushrods removed on one cylinder to determine if the noise goes away while they are out.

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:31 PM
Seriously, take it apart and have a good look inside the cylinders.  You keep asking this question on here and on Facebook, and many people have told you to have a look inside.  Rob is a very respected engine builder and he's given you pointers to where to check first.

Running an engine with issues is not recommended, stripping parts of it out and then running it again, to see if the problem has gone away is just asking for trouble.