Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 09:01:35 PM

Strange clicking noise

This is a discussion for the topic Strange clicking noise on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Strange clicking noise  (Read 468 times)

this user is offline Ade944

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
on: July 17, 2018, 08:33:03 PM
So what's causing this strange clicking noise at this particular point when rotating the engine?

Sounds like it's coming from the left hand of the engine and when it's running there is a loud taping sound coming from left hand rocker cover. Adjusted valves so it's not those.

https://youtu.be/Q5Lf-6Ed0ww

Could it be a Camshaft fault?

Tried taking fuel pump rod. Noise is still there.

Removed plugs to make this video.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:38:22 PM by Ade944 »

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:20:36 PM
Could be a sticky cam follower, you need to watch the valves as you turn it or put a finger on them to feel any strange movement.

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:51:21 PM
Could be a sticky cam follower, you need to watch the valves as you turn it or put a finger on them to feel any strange movement.

Yes I thought that too. If I took the rocker shaft off and felt each push rod would that identify if a cam lobe was faulty?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:55:26 PM by Ade944 »

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:02:37 PM

Yes I thought that too. If I took the rocker shaft off and felt each push rod as I turned the crank slowly by hand would that identify if a cam lobe was faulty?

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:53:14 AM
A faulty cam lobe gives less lift as it wears and the valve clearance increases. You could measure the travel on the valves but a worn cam should not make a clicking noise. I guess if the back of a lobe was worn and you reset the gap to 6 thou then the extra lift on the lobe ramp could cause a valve spring to go coil bound flexing the push rod a bit of a long shot though.