Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 10:50:45 PM

Rattle rattle rattle

This is a discussion for the topic Rattle rattle rattle on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Rattle rattle rattle  (Read 362 times)

this user is offline Ade944

• St Ives Cornwall
  • Prowler buggy
on: July 06, 2018, 08:01:57 PM
Calling all VW type 1 experts!

1776cc engine rattle

What could be causing this rattle?  It's coming from the left side head only. Right side sounds about as a normal VW type1 should.

Adjusted valves over and over but rattle is still there. Checked rocker shaft is tight and rocker side play seems tight.

Rattles at all speeds and temps

I Suspect it's a dodgy ring or even a cracked piston

Engine starts performs fine so must be something simple.

Before I tear down the engine, does anyone have any advice of what it might be?

Thanks 👍

Video of my engine rattle here:

https://youtu.be/vpFE7l3fBos
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:07:45 PM by Ade944 »

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:26:33 PM
I can not quite make out what the noise is but I would strongly recommend a compression test before you strip it down. Is your oil pressure good? any signs of the oil pressure warning light coming on when hot. I am perhaps thinking that this could be the piston hitting the cylinder head! there are several ways this can happen. Firstly the deck height was not set right so after some carbon built up, there is contact. A worn big end bearing/con-rod/ little-end bearing; can all cause the piston to get closer to the head than desired.

So if your compression figures are within 15% of each other, it is not a piston/ring issue. When you get the head off, check carefully on the piston and head to see if there are any signs of contact.

Rob

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:41:49 AM
When was the motor built and how many miles has it done.